The Handmaid's Tale

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Handmaid's Tale

Post by _Maksutov »

I've finished the first season. :eek: One of the most disturbing TV series I've ever seen.

Anyone else watching?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: The Handmaid's Tale

Post by _SteelHead »

I tried. Too disturbing, too close to what a Mormon theocracy would look like.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

We started watching it recently and are about half way through season 1. I like the series and it certainly shows the dangers of an extreme religious far right. The concept of people, or the ability to create life, as a national resource is interesting. What extremes would (will) a government go to control that resource? We should ask Italy and Europe what their plans are for the demographic bombs set to go off when their declining work force can't support the massive cradle to grave social programs. Should be interesting.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I definitely recommend the book, one of my favorite dystopian novels. The first person account shows you survival in a society where it is dangerous to wake up.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

MeDotOrg wrote:I definitely recommend the book, one of my favorite dystopian novels. The first person account shows you survival in a society where it is dangerous to wake up.

Agreed. I enjoy the series, but the book is excellent dystopian fiction.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

MeDotOrg wrote:I definitely recommend the book, one of my favorite dystopian novels. The first person account shows you survival in a society where it is dangerous to wake up.

I think your linked article is good, thanks.