It's Officially Time To Stop The Holy War

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: It's Officially Time To Stop The Holy War

Post by _Dr Exiled »

BYU and the church should have a little humility and ditch the independent nonsense they pursued when Utah and Colorado were picked over them to join the Pac-12. Independence hasn't been worth it in November when games count and I don't see Notre Dame playing them in November any time soon. Go back to the Mountain West and become the best non-P5 football team. Rivalries with Boise State and Utah State will make November relevant again for BYU and will help recruiting.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Exiled wrote:BYU and the church should have a little humility and ditch the independent nonsense they pursued when Utah and Colorado were picked over them to join the Pac-12..

BYU, Utah, TCU, USU, Boise, Fresno, Nevada...that would have been a pretty fun conference to follow.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Sanctorian wrote:Utes don’t want/need this game either. As soon as the current deal is up, this game is no more.

When the UofU basketball team tried this, the Utah Legislature threatened the funding of the entire University of Utah.

You might say that the Utah Legislature was being true to its Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

It's amazing what Urban Meyer did to make Utah good in football. As an outsider to Utah football (I am from the east and could care less about any Utah schools), I found it amazing that a state with so few D1 football players was able to build such a successful program. If Kyle leaves, Utah could easily slip to Arizona levels and the rivalry between BYU and Utah becomes more even again. I was recently in Utah and shocked that some Utah fans wanted Kyle to leave. I am thinking, these people have a short memory and very little idea about the limited backyard of Utah and the limited offerings that Utah has for recruits. Kyle is doing an amazing job with so little.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:When the UofU basketball team tried this, the Utah Legislature threatened the funding of the entire University of Utah.

You might say that the Utah Legislature was being true to its Church.

I think the Utah legislature was on to something. One might call it the "Make the Church True Again" campaign. Back when BYU football was a top program in the 80's, the Church was growing like gangbusters and truer than ever. Growth statistics were proudly displayed and BYU football was kicking butt, along with Ainge and the basketball team. Who wouldn't want to join the popular up and comer? Baptisms and team success were certainly tied together.

Now, growth has stagnated, popularity is lackluster, and the football and basketball teams are mediocre. Appeals to popularity by the dodo and Cooke aren't hitting the mark. So, football and basketball must become great again and big brother certainly must continue to play with dorky overly religious little brother while little brother tries to grab some past glory. Winning in sports, especially football, will greatly aid in the "Make the Church True Again," campaign and the legislature will be damned if Utah doesn't play its part in this quest.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Post by _oliblish »

BYU's losing streak to the U is now old enough to be baptized...
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Resurrect LaVell Edwards.

MOGA (Make Orem Great Again!)
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

I was in the room as my very-conservative Father-in-Law and his friends watched the game. After it was over, I told them I hadn't seen the mood shift so fast in a room since the Hillary supporters watching the returns in 2016.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

What? BYU has a football team? :surprised:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

oliblish wrote:BYU's losing streak to the U is now old enough to be baptized...

.....8 years unless you are the child of a gay parent.

Yes, I saw that on a homemade poster during the game. I guess you found it as funny as I did. :lol: :biggrin:
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015