New Solar Minimum - Let's Get Ready For Some Good Skiing!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

New Solar Minimum - Let's Get Ready For Some Good Skiing!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

NASA scientists claim that a new mini-ice age could result from the new solar minimum that's coming during Trump's icy re-election campaign in 2020. Hopefully this will guaranty a longer ski season! Maybe wall street can sell ice credits instead of carbon credits and make a killing that way?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-14/mini-ice-age-looms-nasa-scientist-warns-lack-sunspots-could-bring-record-cold
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: New Solar Minimum - Let's Get Ready For Some Good Skiing

Post by _EAllusion »

Try not to get your science news from Zero Hedge.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

As best I can tell, the only thing actually attributed to the NASA scientist is the claim that we're entering a period of low sun-spot activity. The idea that this is likely to cause a significant cooling plausibly leading to a mini-ice age is wildly uninformed speculation. The link that your link uses to establish that goes to a website claiming that global warming was a hoax so the planet's elites could adequately prepare for the coming ice age.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Uh, get your science from scientists — not some guy posting as Tyler Durden. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livesc ... rming.html

If there is a “grand minimum, “ it means temporary cooling of about .3 degrees F. We’ve already warmed about two degrees F. And any cooling that occurs will disappear as the sun resumes its normal cycling.

Some days I swear the human race is just too damned stupid to survive.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Thanks EAllusion and Res Ipsa!

I saw the OP just when I had to leave to go to give a talk to some people, and I thought 'Damn, I hope somebody else will deal with this nonsense! I just don't have the time but I don't want to leave it out there unchallenged (won't somebody think of the children?).'

But you stepped up and did the job.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Some days I swear the human race is just too damned stupid to survive.

It's become a lot of days with me. Just looking at how easy it is for people like Denial Dog to avoid looking for the facts and unwillingness to consider people who try to present him with the facts makes me realize how unequipped we are as a species for modern technology and the affects it can have on our planet. I see family members easily reject anything from science that does not fit their beliefs and how easy it is for charlatans to manipulate the masses.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

But .... skiing???? From one season to the next it's a crap shoot. We need some hope in the face of all the global warming downer news and I hoped that the solar minimum would bring some needed relief .... :biggrin:
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Exiled wrote:But .... skiing???? From one season to the next it's a crap shoot. We need some hope in the face of all the global warming downer news and I hoped that the solar minimum would bring some needed relief .... :biggrin:

Yeah, I know. Skiers are taking it in the shorts on this whole global warming thing. Sending good snow vibes your way!
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Exiled wrote:But .... skiing???? From one season to the next it's a crap shoot. We need some hope in the face of all the global warming downer news and I hoped that the solar minimum would bring some needed relief .... :biggrin:

Yeah, I know. Skiers are taking it in the shorts on this whole global warming thing. Sending good snow vibes your way!

Thanks for the vibe .... my son thanks you too.