Rant about closed mindedness

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Rant about closed mindedness

Post by _Jersey Girl »

My god I want to jump out of my skin right now. I'm going to regret this post. Just know that.

So...there was a discussion here about the show, The View. Apparently in someone's opinion they're all evil nasty people and no one should watch it. Ever.

I watch it on youtube.

So, I explain that yes, while the panel is liberal heavy, it now has 2 conservatives, multiple conservative guest hosts, and regularly has Conservative guests because, differing viewpoints is what drives the discussions/debates.

In my view (ha), binary (good vs evil, black vs white) is exactly what's wrong with this country. I swear to Gott, if a good idea came from the opposing party, some people would reject it out of hand for the simple minded reason that it came from the opposing party rep, and that's why not a goddamn thing is getting accomplished on our behalf.

Christ almighty, how are we ever going to make progress when the only thing some folks are invested in is maintaining the war? What happened to us being a nation (were we ever?) where all viewpoints can be heard and considered without wanting to destroy the people who hold them?

You can't build a house when the construction team is beating each other bloody with their hammers.

Do you guys see this in your every day life? How do you get through it without telling whomever it is to just “F” off? I try my level best to model openness, a willingness to listen, and give consideration to differing viewpoints. I'm pretty damn good at it if you ask me.

Okay that's it. I'm running to the window now. Thanks for listening.

Talk later.

Regrets,
Jersey Girl

p.s Goddamn it all to hell and back again!!!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Rant about closed mindedness

Post by _Gunnar »

I agree with much of what you said, Jersey Girl. I have long been of the opinion that there is a strong tendency for strongly partisan politicians to oppose out of hand anything proposed or approved by the other party, especially if it is a good idea, because they can't bear the thought of the other side getting credit for anything good. Never was this more apparent than during the Obama administration, when Republicans repeatedly changed their minds about and opposed even proposals that they themselves first proposed when it became apparent that Obama was willing to go along with them. I'm not claiming that Democrats are never guilty of extreme partisanship, but I don't know of any cases where Democrats abandoned support for ideas they originated themselves merely because they didn't want Republicans to share credit for them by agreeing with them.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think the problem these days, as it were, is perspective and the ability to communicate in virtualis re. But, it ain't like we humans have ever really agree upon much, whether opinions were in group or out group. While you're lamenting closed-mindedness, the Spirit Paradise political discussions actually show quite a bit open-mindedness, in that we're willing to bitch at each other despite our differences.

And it's those conversations that refine our perspectives, hone our arguments, and cause our opinions to shift around a bit.

in my opinion, the real ones you should be concerned about are the ones who opt out because they can't be bothered to discuss whatever issues are topical, or have some sort of tantrum and run off declaring the "non-safe side" is x-y-z.

And before anyone talks about tone having a dampening effect on conversation, the moderating here in particular isn't effective, or there's a clear double-standard. I still feel it's better to err on the side of open and unfettered dialogue, however.

Anyway. You'd be surprised how many houses are built by construction teams that absolutely despise one another on an individual level.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

You guys I'm sufficiently embarrassed by the OP. I never come to the board angry. I might write about something that annoys me but this went far beyond. I mean look at one of those last lines. I meant I was running to the window to jump out of it. I could hardly put two thoughts together at that point.

The comments about The View were essentially the straw/camel's back. All the lead ins to the midterms, watching people argue and throw insults online on various websites, under youtube videos, on FB--negative, negative, negative. And then the remarks about The View, I had my fill,l and then I flippin' blew.

Cam the construction team might despise each other, they still build the house. They don't set out to destroy each other because their income (self interest) depends on the house getting done. Our politicians are well paid and they don't give a crap about getting the job done. They give a crap about games. We're paying them to play games.

What exactly has been accomplished the past 2 years? Name me one substantial thing that had changed for the better for the American people.

What? What is it?

And Gunnar, thanks. I'll get back here tomorrow at some point. The only hope we have is that mid terms meant something. I doubt it.

I need to disconnect from all of this.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb