Memorializing Drumpf

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Memorializing Drumpf

Post by _Some Schmo »

Another Trump-branded building has decided to take down the president’s name

Normal presidents (the good ones, anyway) have statues erected and streets and buildings named after them once they've served in office. Drumpf is so pathetic, people with buildings already named after him want to make that fact as quiet as possible, and he hasn't even left office yet.

Can't blame them. It won't be long before trump is synonymous with fraud.

Yeah, I heard he went to jail. Got 10 years for trumping his customers.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Re: Memorializing Drumpf

Post by _ajax18 »

Kind of like the word "gypped."

Oh yeah, I forgot that's just because gypsies are brown not because they actually did a lot of stealing.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:Kind of like the word "gypped."

Oh yeah, I forgot that's just because gypsies are brown not because they actually did a lot of stealing.

I'm reluctant to ask, but what the hell are you on about now?
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ajax once argued on his preferred white supremacist board that the Nazis didn't go far enough in trying to commit genocide against the Roma. He's since said that maybe that went a little too far, but it does suggest a guy who doesn't mind a flimsy pretext to express contempt for gypsies.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:Ajax once argued on his preferred white supremacist board that the Nazis didn't go far enough in trying to commit genocide against the Roma. He's since said that maybe that went a little too far, but it does suggest a guy who doesn't mind a flimsy pretext to express contempt for gypsies.

Again, I have to wonder where all the animus comes from. It's such a fundamental mental error. I understand tribalism in our evolutionary past, but it seems to me to be such a simple thing to get past (like the process of toilet training), especially when we know we're all ultimately related.

So weird to me, and has been since noticing as a child that there were nice people and assholes in every group.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

especially when we know we're all ultimately related.

Does that mean you're related to Trump?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:
especially when we know we're all ultimately related.

Does that mean you're related to Trump?

LOL

What do you think?

I'm also *gasp* related to you! That's why you should have no problem when my extended family sets up our camping site on your lawn. Did you see the caravan coming from Honduras? Exciting, right?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Reminds me of a song: https://youtu.be/cQ_WeLi09p0
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Do you have a word in Spanish like gypped? Maybe, gitanar?

I'm also *gasp* related to you! That's why you should have no problem when my extended family sets up our camping site on your lawn.

It's a slow time of year. I could use the business. I'm not doing anyone any good sitting here in an empty office posting on a message board today. It amazes me how many Venezuelans have made it to the US. They're probably 80% of my Spanish exams.

Did you see the caravan coming from Honduras? Exciting, right?

At least it's not a caravan of gypsies.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:At least it's not a caravan of gypsies.

Have you ever met a gypsy? I haven't. Sometimes I suspect they're mythical, like hobbits and compassionate Rapublicans.