The value of images

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

The value of images

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, but some pictures are worth millions of votes.

While the caption on this image is a bit tin-foil-hat for me, i can't deny its value as a counterpunch.

Im curious what the Democrats on this board think about this image.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: The value of images

Post by _honorentheos »

That's the real deal, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sG_RydGBmY

We'll make great pets...
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Can’t argue with that. I’m burning my liberal card and buying a MAGA hat first thing tomorrow.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Like almost all images I have seen of UFOs purporting to be alien spaceships, it is of such low resolution and so poorly exposed and out of focus, that any close detail is obscured, as if someone was trying to hide what it really was in a deliberate attempt to deceive and pass it off as something it was not.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

But the video!

(It's a computer generated UFO)
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas wrote:While the caption on this image is a bit tin-foil-hat for me, i can't deny its value as a counterpunch.

What’s at all “tinfoil hat” about the caption “Mail Online?”
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

honorentheos wrote:But the video!

(It's a computer generated UFO)

That's not at all hard to believe.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:While the caption on this image is a bit tin-foil-hat for me, i can't deny its value as a counterpunch.

What’s at all “tinfoil hat” about the caption “Mail Online?”

I am just messing with subgenius.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

So... we're being invaded by Stetson?

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

For many years I worked with a Filipino man. He told me the story of his grandfather, a peasant working in a rice paddy, when the first airplane he ever saw flew by. His grandfather said that some people fell to the ground and began prostrating themselves to the 'flying cross' that was flying overhead. Closest thing to a cargo cult story I've heard.

Arthur C. Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Digital image manipulation makes it ridiculously easy to hoodwink the technologically ill-informed.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land