Kavanaugh and Perjury

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Kavanaugh and Perjury

Post by _EAllusion »

Again, Doc, what is your evidence that her allegation is false? You aren't asserting that there isn't enough evidence to affirm her account. You're asserting that you know her account is false. You've offered a few tidbits to that end that were pathetic, and I guess I'm being generous in assuming you have more there beyond personal prejudice. Or is it that you just take Kavanaugh's word, a person who has a demonstrable history of being a serial liar for partisan purposes mind you, as unimpeachable for some inexplicable reason?

The most recent ya got her dead-to-rights argument for her to be making this up as a leftist hitjob is that she erased her social media accounts around the time that she shared her allegation at first. Of course, there is a perfectly reasonable explanation in that maybe she just correctly anticipated that if anything were to get back to her on making that allegation, a wave of people would try to make her social life a living hell. That was naïve, of course, because erasing those accounts is not enough. It happened anyway. But nope, you say, the only logical explanation is that she was trying to hide, what?, the fact that she's liberal? What a shock for a psychology professor from California. No gumshoe would've ever been able to figure that out without her social media accounts. There's a ton fake news - fake news in the correct sense of the term - out there about Ford that tries to build her up as a hardcore Democrat activist with a clear ulterior motives, but that's based on BS. She's a pretty ordinary liberal who referred to this allegation years back and decided to make the charge now given the high profile of his nomination. It may be false, but it's pretty god damn implausible that this is a deep, long-game plot of a Democrat activist trying to Swiftboat Kavanaugh. More likely, either it's an old false allegation or a case of mistaken identity if the allegation is false.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I think this is polktical gamesmanship, and I'm absolutely astonished some here don't see it for what it is.

Repubs: You can testify on Monday.

Ford: Yeeeeeeah, that's not gonna work for me.

Lol. This is such a ____ show. gmafb.

- Doc

The reason you are astonished is that you are going with your gut, which actually isn’t where your brain lives. You shouldn’t be surprised at all that your emotion driven response is not the same as the response of those who are at least trying to focus on the evidence. Let me ask, do you think she’s lying because that’s what you would do? If not, why do you believe she is so different from you that she would do something so extreme as to lie about an attempted forcible rape?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

EAllusion wrote:Anywho, Kavanaaugh, a man by all accounts was quite the partier in his high school days, has made it clear to Orin Hatch that he wasn't at this unspecified party at an unspecified location at an unspecified time of year. Case closed. If that's good enough for Hatch, how could that not be good enough for everyone?

There are very few politicians I have less respect for than Orin Hatch. He is a very convincing demonstration that just being a Mormon is no guarantee that one is necessarily honest, reasonable or compassionate.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Another man who Ms. Ford identified as being at the party had no idea there was a party and categorically denied being at the alleged party.

“I understand that I have been identified by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford as the person she remembers as ‘PJ’ who supposedly was present at the party she described in her statements to the Washington Post,” Patrick J. Smyth says in the statement,

“I am issuing this statement today to make it clear to all involved that I have no knowledge of the party in question; nor do I have any knowledge of the allegations of improper conduct she has leveled against Brett Kavanaugh."

But, hey. Let's not let reality get in the way of a good Leftist character assassination!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I’m interested. How do you distinguish between a leftist character assassination and a right-wing covering for an old friend? Or even a right-wing faulty memory? In my opinion, that’s why this should be handled by the professionals who have some training and experience at investigation. Instead, we have carefully crafted press releases and amateurs with an agenda running around mucking things up.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
For the same reasons this is trash:

Or do we not follow any sort of factual precedent any more and just believe whatever someone says as long as it suits their motivation?

- Doc

_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:I’m interested. How do you distinguish between a leftist character assassination and a right-wing covering for an old friend? Or even a right-wing faulty memory? In my opinion, that’s why this should be handled by the professionals who have some training and experience at investigation. Instead, we have carefully crafted press releases and amateurs with an agenda running around mucking things up.

Exactly! But investigators with at least some training in peer-reviewed science, psychology, and memory.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

by the way, I did some digging over at reddit on that picture. Apparently she’s Pakistani, which may explain the odd syntax of the sign. Here’s some information on rape in Pakistan. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Pakistan I’m not surprised she would see the leering and catcalling that precedes rape as a part of the rape. 4Channers discovered the pic and turned it into a meme, using this together with other fake pictures they created. So, congrats Doc, for using one Pakistani woman to help 4chan smear all feminists. Well done.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

There are very few, if any, aspects of this that warrant jumping to a firm conclusion beyond there seems to be enough behind Ford's claim to deserve hearing it out. I don't think the claim itself is an example of character assassination though the media has turned it into that. Ford herself had not intended to pursue the matter after her initial letter given she did not see it as likely to impact the nomination process, and would only result in what we're seeing now. That the story was initially leaked despite Feinstein having no intention of doing so based on Ford's request was unfortunate for all involved, and it has become the sort of public crucifixion nightmare scenario for both Ford and Kavanaugh that should give any of us some reason to reflect on how out of hand public hunger to form a mob and lynch someone is so consuming and destructive to the slow process of justice.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

A clear account should have listed the number of shopping days until Christmas, as well as Brett Kavanaugh's specific gravity and ring size. We can't base critical decision making on suppositions or we will be facing another Benghazi. Right, Doc?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace