Chipping away at the separation of powers

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Chipping away at the separation of powers

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Today Trump tweeted the following:

First of all, the investigations started in the Trump DOJ, not Obama's. But the part that is most disturbing is two easy wins now in doubt because there is not enough time. Good job, Jeff......

The President is suggesting that the justice department should be considering two easy wins as having some weight upon the scales of justice. The corruption with which both men are charged does not seem to weigh heavily in the President's consideration. Trump seems to be upset with Sessions because he is not using the Justice Department the way a third world dictator would, to attack his enemies and defend his friends.

When talking about the indicted Congressmen, maybe the President should use the line he said about John McCain: "I like guys who don't get caught."
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Chipping away at the separation of powers

Post by _honorentheos »

Thanks for posting this.

There was a comment in the Words Matter podcast a few weeks back that I think shines some light here. Trump was quoted as being complimentary towards Eric Holder because he thought he had Obama's back. It showed his view of the Attorney General is that their role is akin to a personal lawyer for the President.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

That isn't a separation of powers issue, but it is a rule of law issue. Congress has plenty of tools to stop Trump from doing this, including impeachment and removal, which they absolutely should do. The problem is partisanship has rendered our checks and balances system that was designed to stop someone like Trump impotent.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

For all the horrible things Trump has tweeted, this one has got to be near the top, incidentally.

He had to go down in flames so other politicians know to never, ever dare look Trumpish. A close defeat in an election won’t do. Fortunately, anyone who isn’t middle aged or older belongs to a demographic that despises him. That’s half the battle for future attitudes right there.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

EAllusion wrote:For all the horrible things Trump has tweeted, this one has got to be near the top, incidentally.

He had to go down in flames so other politicians know never, ever dare look Trumpish. A close defeat in an election won’t do.
I'm not even sure an election defeat saves us from future Trumps anymore. I'm starting to believe that only impeachment and removal from office, bolstered by support within his own party, is the only deterrent that will mean anything. Perhaps my thought is more that I just am not convinced the public will do a good enough job at the poll to get the point across.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens