Slow news day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: Slow news day

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Just thought of a title for programming in the time slot opposite Fox & Friends:

Facts & Friends

-=[*]=-

The next 6 months of American History promise to be unprecedented and tumultuous. The confluence of events: The Mueller Investigation, The Southern District of New York with Michael Cohen, The New York AG's suit against Trump Charities, the unknown secrets of Cohen, Pecker and Weisselberg...all of that against the backdrop of an election, where if the Democrats take the house, the President will have a few months of a lame duck Congress.

Think about the dynamics of that possible situation: The most likely GOP members to be voted out are districts with enough Democrats to swing, so they are probably the least conservative Republicans. The seats still held by the GOP will be more resolutely Trump than ever. Trump could use this time to push through the firing of Jeff Sessions. I think that the lame duck months will be a trying time for the outgoing members.

What happens next? In the movie version, a tearful Ivanka finally confronts her father and says "Daddy, you have to resign."

But in real life, Don Jr. and Eric run the Trust. Ivanka, Eric and Don Jr. are on the board of the Charity. If the Trump charities were found to have illegally funneled money into the campaign, there could be some serious legal jeopardy for his family members. Earlier I did a post guessing Trump's chances of survival until 2020. In it I said that the sheer volume of possible problems, even if only 30% turned out to be true, seem to suggest he would not survive.

And if the Democrats do take the House in November, the lame duck Congress will be under tremendous pressure from Trump. That lame duck period could be a battleground for the future direction of the GOP.

Anyway, hold on everyone.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land