A taste of Prager U

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: A taste of Prager U

Post by _Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:But a lot of right-wing talking heads need a new bogeyman to whip up the fear factor within their audience. They don’t dare use Russia any more, and China produces too much of the cheap Walmart stuff that they crave, so they’re left with pitching antifa as America’s new greatest threat.

And if there's anyone we should fear, it's people who are against fascism.

You've got to respect the bullshitting power of right-wing pundits, to get the moronic base to unwittingly defend fascism.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

It's tragic and enraging that many of those being hurt the most by Trumpism are among his most loyal base, and regard Trump as their savior.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Gunnar wrote:It's tragic and enraging that many of those being hurt the most by Trumpism are among his most loyal base, and regard Trump as their savior.

Peasants are often the most loyal subjects.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Meanwhile, over in the nice, gentlemanly world of White Nationalism, one of their organizations has taken to co-opting the Mollie Tibbetts story for a little genteel prodding of the locals:

A reader of the local Iowa Starting Line newspaper sent in a recording of the message he received on Tuesday at around 8 PM. In it, a man who speaks in the same cadence as the host of neo-Nazi podcast The Road to Power, says that Tibbetts would call for genocide if she were still alive and that her family, who have begged politicians and white supremacists not to use their relative's death as racist propaganda, are wrong. At one point, it even uses a female voice actor to impersonate Tibbetts's voice. Here's the transcript of the recorded call, per the Starting Line, below:

“The body of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts was found in a corn field after she was stabbed to death by an invader from Mexico. A biological hybrid of white and savage Aztec ancestors, who also killed with knives during their mass human sacrifices on top of pyramids they didn’t build.

Some relatives of Mollie Tibbetts are implying that despite having been murdered by a non-white, savage intruder, she would still support the invasion of America by a brown horde currently at a staggering 58 million. But you know in your heart they are wrong.

If after her life has now been brutally stolen from her, she could be brought back to life for just one moment and asked, ‘What do you think now?’ Mollie Tibbetts would say, ‘Kill them all.’

We don’t have to kill them all, but we do have to deport them all. The Aztec hybrids, known as Mestizos, are low-IQ, bottom-feeding savages, and is why the countries they infest are crime-ridden failures. That’s now America’s fate too unless we re-found America as whites-only and get rid of them now! Every last one!

This message paid for by The Road To Power dot com.”

But I’m sure that ‘antifa’ does the same sort of robocalls all of the time. Right?
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

The most recent Prager U video

"Left or Liberal?"

https://youtu.be/tlIjMJBSnRE

I thought it was spot on - YMMV.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

I would find it refreshing if you were willing to ditch the appeal to authority and discuss why you believe, as example, Prager’s anecdote about the Starbucks incident amounts to Leftists trying to shut down your free speech. Prager, and then yourself, use this as an example of such without seemingly being able to explain how that actually works. Simply making the accusation without being able to rationally examine or defend it is precisely what contributes to the dysfunction infecting political discourse these days.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:I would find it refreshing if you were willing to ditch the appeal to authority and discuss why you believe, as example, Prager’s anecdote about the Starbucks incident amounts to Leftists trying to shut down your free speech. Prager, and then yourself, use this as an example of such without seemingly being able to explain how that actually works. Simply making the accusation without being able to rationally examine or defend it is precisely what contributes to the dysfunction infecting political discourse these days.

What? Think for himself? Express his thoughts? Justify his position?

I'm really getting tired of the personal insults.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:What? Think for himself? Express his thoughts? Justify his position?

I guess such a thing is no longer fashionable.

In another thread, ajax is wondering aloud if the Democrats will start to kill white farmers in America and steal their land (maybe to grow kale? I don’t know ...). So I guess that this sort of hysteria without question is becoming a major feature of the Right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:So I guess that this sort of hysteria without question is becoming a major feature of the Right.

Well, it began with antipathy toward education ("damn elitists" or "he's someone I could have a beer with"). Now it's just base wallowing in ignorance. They don't defend positions; they defend their right to believe their comforting nonsense.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Georgia under Republican gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp's leadership is freezing over 50 thousand registrations using an "exact match" test heading into November's election. Around 70% of the frozen registrations are black.

https://www.wabe.org/voting-rights-beco ... nors-race/

Exact match tests have a very high error rate and are preferred by Republicans because they systematically hit Democratic voters harder, which is the basis for legal challenges to them. The neat thing is even if the courts say this was illegal, if they do so after the election, courts never overturn the outcome of an election so it doesn't matter.