While Driving, The Car Radio.....

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: While Driving, The Car Radio.....

Post by _Xenophon »

honorentheos wrote:I agree certain newer genres seem to be outing out more cohesive albums. Maybe I'll brand myself as an outcast with this, but I've come to like electronic music and in many ways feel there are stronger, more cohesive albums in those subgenres than in most other more established genres. Some of my favor modern artists are DJ's whose music feels innovative to me in ways I don't feel as much elsewhere in music.
No outcast, at least not with me. I honestly can't think of a genre of music I haven't at least dabbled with and think most music has a place or audience somewhere. One should never have to be ashamed of the music that brings them enjoyment. I fully agree that you typically have to get out into the fringes a bit to experience more innovation.

ETA: Did you really feel like your music choice might be "out there"? J-pop is the official genre of MDB.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:One should never have to be ashamed of the music that brings them enjoyment.

Well... unless it's country. Let's not go crazy here.

(I'm kidding. Having lived where I live for as many years as I have, I can't help that I've been somewhat influenced by the charms of country music. It's like biting on tin foil to admit that, but there it is).

Xenophon wrote:ETA: Did you really feel like your music choice might be "out there"? J-pop is the official genre of MDB.

LOL
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Xenophon wrote:
honorentheos wrote:I agree certain newer genres seem to be outing out more cohesive albums. Maybe I'll brand myself as an outcast with this, but I've come to like electronic music and in many ways feel there are stronger, more cohesive albums in those subgenres than in most other more established genres. Some of my favor modern artists are DJ's whose music feels innovative to me in ways I don't feel as much elsewhere in music.
No outcast, at least not with me. I honestly can't think of a genre of music I haven't at least dabbled with and think most music has a place or audience somewhere. One should never have to be ashamed of the music that brings them enjoyment. I fully agree that you typically have to get out into the fringes a bit to experience more innovation.

ETA: Did you really feel like your music choice might be "out there"? J-pop is the official genre of MDB.

I wholeheartedly agree with your attitude about experiencing different forms of music. I have found outstanding and enjoyable examples in a great variety of musical forms. I used to like mainly just western classical music, and that is still my favorite, but I also love well performed music of other genres, like jazz, bluegrass, east Indian, and other forms of oriental music. One of the most enjoyable classes I took in college was a course in non-western music. It opened my ears and mind to an astonishing wealth of music from a variety of cultures, both primitive and modern. One thing pointed out by the teacher was that there is no known human culture, however primitive, that does not have its own unique music. Some of the most primitive cultures (for example: African pygmies) have astoundingly complex and sophisticated musical forms. The ubiquity of music in all human cultures, even the most primitive, has led some anthropologists to conclude that the musical bow (one of the earliest musical inventions) might actually have preceded the hunting bow, and that only later did some genius figure out that: "hey, this thing can also be use to fling sharp sticks at enemies or prey!"
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:One thing pointed out by the teacher was that there is no known human culture, however primitive, that does not have its own unique music. Some of the most primitive cultures (for example: African pygmies) have astoundingly complex and sophisticated musical forms. The ubiquity of music in all human cultures, even the most primitive, has led some anthropologists to conclude that the musical bow (one of the earliest musical inventions) might actually have preceded the hunting bow, and that only later did some genius figure out that: "hey, this thing can also be use to fling sharp sticks at enemies or prey!"

That's a fun hypothesis.

Music, the proclivity for myths, story telling and religion, eating, sleeping, sexing, crapping... you'd almost think all of humanity came from a common ancestor long ago.

I do think there's something biological/physiological about our connection to music (beyond our vibrating eardrums), and I think it starts with the rhythm. I wonder if it has something to do with why a mother's natural tendency to rock babies to settle them works. You'll notice some adults under stress rocking themselves in their chair. There has to be some measure of genuine physical and psychological comfort that comes from bopping our heads.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:How’s your shin, by the way? : )

better than yours (obviously).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:How’s your shin, by the way? : )

better than yours (obviously).

Oh, so you’re some kind of shin bigot, are you?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote: Oh, so you’re some kind of shin bigot, are you?

I'm not sure why, but shin bigot sounds to me like a car part made by Spacely Sprockets.

Here's why your car won't fly... you've got a defective shin bigot.