Trade Deficit 10 year High

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Re: Trade Deficit 10 year High

Post by _Themis »

ajax18 wrote:Doc I remember Democrats since 30 years ago preaching against trade deficits. Jack Kemp comes to mind. Were you always in favor of trade deficits?

It's very easy for people on different sides to think trade deficits are always bad, but do you now realize they are not? You might notice when the economy does bad the US trade deficit goes down. If you want the US to be in overall surplus with the world you will need to make everyone much poorer.

In any event, the economy is booming. This is good for every working American, even people that voted for Bernie, even for the people on this board who hate Trump.

The economy has been doing good well before Trump became President. Now they are helping the economy to grow faster for the rich at the expense of your children's future. There is a huge debt crisis looming that the left or right have not really addressed, and when, not if, the economy goes down again it is really going to hurt.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

The economy isn't "booming." Economy is simply doing "OK" while on cruise control since we really don't have anyone at the helm because the guy getting paid to do that spends all his time golfing and tweeting and trying to win imaginary trade wars.

Wages are flat, Labor Participation Rate is flat, DOW is in correction mode for six months now, monthly job growth has been worse under Trump than it was under Obama, inflation is rising for the first time in many years, etc.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Lol. Trump supporters just crack me up.

It is too expensive to manufacture pro-Trump T-shirts in the U.S., according to the founder of Bikers for Trump—who says he manufactures his Trump supporting garments in Haiti to save money.

Speaking in an interview with The New York Times, Chris Cox said manufacturers in America "get you" and "gouge you" over the prices of making clothes—prompting him to take his business overseas.

"If I get a T-shirt made in the USA, it's going to cost about $8 more," Cox said in the Times interview.

"I looked far and wide to try to get a shirt made in America, it's just they get you, they gouge you," he added, his comments coming despite his—and many bikers'—opposition to motorcycle manufacturer Harley Davidson's announcement that it would be making some of its motorcycles for the foreign market overseas.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote: Can you help me understand why this politician is an ignoramus?

It appears that you have a narrow view of trade deficits and how they impact an economy in the short-term and then in the long-term. But even more so, it seems that you have an even narrower view of politics.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:Doc I remember Democrats since 30 years ago preaching against trade deficits. Jack Kemp comes to mind. Were you always in favor of trade deficits?

? Jack Kemp was a Republican.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Oh noes.

The Commerce Department will almost certainly report Wednesday that — despite more than two years of President Trump’s “America First” policies — the United States last year posted the largest merchandise trade deficit in its 243-year history.

The nation’s trade gap with China also is likely to set a record, underscoring the stakes for the president’s bid to reach a deal with Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as this month.

The department’s final 2018 trade report, which was delayed by the government shutdown, is expected to show that the United States bought nearly $900 billion more in foreign goods than it sold to customers in other countries. That would top the 2006 record of $838.3 billion, set as the housing bubble was peaking, and would mark the third consecutive year of rising trade deficits .

It has been evident for months that the president was failing to shrink a trade gap that he calls “unsustainable” and that he says represents a massive transfer of wealth from Americans to foreigners. Over the past year, even as he imposed tariffs on foreign-made solar panels, washing machines, steel, aluminum and assorted goods from China, imports roared ahead of exports.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

canpakes wrote:Oh noes.

The Commerce Department will almost certainly report Wednesday that — despite more than two years of President Trump’s “America First” policies — the United States last year posted the largest merchandise trade deficit in its 243-year history.

The nation’s trade gap with China also is likely to set a record, underscoring the stakes for the president’s bid to reach a deal with Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as this month.

The department’s final 2018 trade report, which was delayed by the government shutdown, is expected to show that the United States bought nearly $900 billion more in foreign goods than it sold to customers in other countries. That would top the 2006 record of $838.3 billion, set as the housing bubble was peaking, and would mark the third consecutive year of rising trade deficits .

It has been evident for months that the president was failing to shrink a trade gap that he calls “unsustainable” and that he says represents a massive transfer of wealth from Americans to foreigners. Over the past year, even as he imposed tariffs on foreign-made solar panels, washing machines, steel, aluminum and assorted goods from China, imports roared ahead of exports.

So much "winning"! I think I'm getting tired of all this "winning", just like the "president" said. :razz:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:

Getting Ajax to express an ideologically coherent thought outside of 'conservative White people are slaves' is an impossibility. Asking him to speak factually within the context of a topic is another one. It's a really odd thing to interact with people, Left or Right, who are so entrenched. I suppose if your identity is wrapped up in being right then reality is subjective.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:

And a proponent of free trade.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Res Ipsa wrote:And a proponent of free trade.

Jack Kemp would have left the GOP by now and started another party, in my opinion. He was too inclusive and open minded for many of them back then. You could probably say the same thing about Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater now. :lol: Yep, I remember, Reagan signing gun control bills, promoting them himself, and Barry Goldwater saying that the Religious Right would be the death of the GOP. But that was before Trump became president and Alex Jones his trustworthy venue of "news". :razz: GOP has gone the way of the Whigs. It became the Tea Party and then the Trump Party. The devolution seems likely to continue.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov