Abimelek, the man.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Abimelek, the man.

Post by _subgenius »

Judges 9:52-55 New International Version (NIV)
52 Abimelek went to the tower and attacked it. But as he approached the entrance to the tower to set it on fire, 53 a woman dropped an upper millstone on his head and cracked his skull.

54 Hurriedly he called to his armor-bearer, “Draw your sword and kill me, so that they can’t say, ‘A woman killed him.’” So his servant ran him through, and he died. 55 When the Israelites saw that Abimelek was dead, they went home.

So, Abimelek would rather be run through with a sword than have his legacy be that of man who was killed by an obviously strong woman?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Abimelek, the man.

Post by _Gunnar »

So? The demonstrable misogyny in much of The Bible has long been recognized. Who disputes that? I commend your being honest enough to recognize it.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Gunnar wrote:So? The demonstrable misogyny in much of The Bible has long been recognized. Who disputes that? I commend your being honest enough to recognize it.

So??
I think the succinct and distinct sentiment in these few verses surpasses almost anything in all the Testaments.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

When the Israelites saw that Abimelek was dead, they went home.

Well. I guess that’s that. He’s dead. Let’s go.”
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
When the Israelites saw that Abimelek was dead, they went home.

Well. I guess that’s that. He’s dead. Let’s go.”

" we had a good run at it...but none of us want our tombstones reading "killed by a woman who was able to lift a heavy stone""
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Is it Sunday already? What's with the Bible preaching?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Unnamed strengthy woman got the last laugh. She used the millstone as Abimelek’s grave marker.