Trump considers turning over US diplomats to Putin

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Trump considers turning over US diplomats to Putin

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
DarkHelmet wrote:Actually, I don't know what the f I'm doing. How did I even get elected?

Lol. Because we don’t elect people based on how many votes they get, right?

Wrong, we do elect based upon the number of votes they get...the candidate with the most votes in a State determines how that State will vote. To account for varying populations, each State (essentially) gets to vote a certain number of times. This system is called Electoral College and it is currently the most egalitarian method of administering an election across a broad and diverse population of people where fair and equal "representation" is considered a virtue.
At first, the "States" concept seems confusing, but when you attend school in this country it becomes understandable as you learn about American History, Sovereignty, and basic vocabulary.
But no worries, I am sure your local community college has an excellent adult education program where you can get caught up.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Wrong, we do elect based upon the number of votes they get...the candidate with the most votes in a State determines how that State will vote. To account for varying populations, each State (essentially) gets to vote a certain number of times. This system is called Electoral College, etc., etc.

We don’t directly elect folks based on the number of votes they get. Babble on all you want about the EC; my statement remains more accurate than yours. ; )
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:https://mobile.Twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1007615091636953089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1007615091636953089&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailykos.com%2Fstory%2F2018%2F6%2F15%2F1772207%2F-Russia-state-TV-Crimea-is-ours-Trump-is-ours

"Crimea is ours! Trump is ours!"

That was the Russian state media in case you didn't catch it.

- Doc

#Russia's state TV:
Participants discuss @BuzzFeed report that Trump told G7 leaders "Crimea is Russian, because everyone who lives there speaks Russian." They interpret it as Trump's recognition of Crimea's status.
The hosts triumphantly declare: "Crimea is ours, Trump is ours!"

By Trump's logic, we should annex Canada, because they speak American.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Phew!

Thank goodness he has a few sane advisors left:

Trump rejects proposal for Russia to interrogate US citizens

US President Donald Trump has rejected a proposal made by the Russian leader Vladimir Putin that Russia be allowed to question US citizens.

The White House earlier said it would consider it but now says Mr Trump "disagrees" with the suggestion.
The offer was made at a summit of the two leaders. In return, Mr Putin suggested he might allow access to 12 Russians indicted by the US.
The idea of allowing a foreign power to quiz US citizens sparked outrage.

"It is a proposal that was made in sincerity by President Putin, but President Trump disagrees with it," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said on Thursday.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Chap wrote:Phew!

Thank goodness he has a few sane advisors left:

That has limited comfort value, considering how often he ignores even his sanest and most knowledgeable advisors when they oppose what he really wants.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
subgenius wrote:Wrong, we do elect based upon the number of votes they get...the candidate with the most votes in a State determines how that State will vote. To account for varying populations, each State (essentially) gets to vote a certain number of times. This system is called Electoral College, etc., etc.

We don’t directly elect folks based on the number of votes they get. Babble on all you want about the EC; my statement remains more accurate than yours. ; )

Nope, we still do...the number of votes determines how the State votes....that is direct...but obviously you meant to move the goal post over to the "elected by the most number of votes cast in a national popular vote like a fundamentally flawed version of Democratic Representation would".
Haven't really resolved the whole number of Senators, number of Representatives, and 3 branches of government concept yet, eh?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Yup. The President is not elected by popular vote, but by votes in the electoral college.

About 3 million less Americans voted for Trump than voted for Clinton.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

States do not have to collect votes for president. They all do, but only because it's the popular precedent. And they further don't have to cast their EC points based on whatever the popular vote in the state is, and not all do. They could conceive whatever system they want. Phase of the moon, roll of a dice.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Water Dog wrote:

States do not have to collect votes for president. They all do, but only because it's the popular precedent. And they further don't have to cast their EC points based on whatever the popular vote in the state is, and not all do. They could conceive whatever system they want. Phase of the moon, roll of a dice.

subs has problems dealing with facts. This might confuse him.

To your point, and with regard to State tallies under unusual circumstances vis-a-vis their EC vote:

A very close finish could also result in a run-off election or legal action to decide the winner. Under Federal law (3 U.S.C. section 5), state law governs on this issue, and would be conclusive in determining the selection of Electors.