Happiest Countries in the World.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Happiest Countries in the World.

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:It's buried in this thread somewhere, Cam.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45736&hilit=virg%2Ans

(I used Lemmie's trick of using an * as a substitute for one letter)

I'm sorry, but that is not the thread in question. The thread to which I referred was a good deal longer ago, and the discussion was not just a passing reference. I should not have said it was 'a couple of years back' - it was considerably more distant.

Were not some posts lost at the time of the Big Crash on this board?

Huh. I thought that would have been it. I have no recollection of that thread. Could have been when I was eternally banned prior to my resurrection. ;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Lemmie wrote:This one?
son of Ishmael wrote:So...umm...Just what did the lord do with his share of the virgin girls?

huckelberry wrote:... I do think it odd to imagine the story is intended to picture Midianite women being taken for sexual purpose....

Chap wrote:I like the fact that Huckleberry can imagine a world in which a young Israelite warrior is victorious in battle and drags a captive girl back to his tent (but only after first conducting a digital examination to check her virginity, otherwise as a God-fearing guy he would have cut her throat like the Lord said to do, naturally), and then ... and then just asks her to darn his socks, and cook his breakfast. Huckleberry must be a really, really nice guy.

viewtopic.php?p=894158#p894158

Thanks Lemmie! Memories ...

That really was an amusing thread. Follow the link to enjoy the desperate straits of positive idiocy a believer has to go through to preserve the Lord's reputation.

The bit about Israelite warriors not raping captive girls because the warriors' aunts were watching was particularly delicious.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

aussieguy55 wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncanmadden/2018/03/27/ranked-the-10-happiest-countries-in-the-world-in-2018/#3f70429973e9

My country Australia is no 10. yippeee

I just noticed why Australia is so happy:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... uiry-hears
PM personally approved $443m fund for tiny Barrier Reef foundation
Head of Great Barrier Reef Foundation tells Senate inquiry money was offered at meeting with Turnbull and Josh Frydenberg
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:I just noticed why Australia is so happy:

Nope. More like this:

The report uses six variables to judge happiness: income, healthy life expectancy, having someone to count on in times of trouble, generosity, freedom and trust (measured by the absence of corruption in business and government).

All countries in the top ten have high values in all six.

Look I'm sorry it upsets you that Australia is rated happier than lots of other countries (US at 18, UK at 19 in 2017-2018), but yelling 'Look, a kangaroo!' is not a very impressive response.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

It is interesting that you mention the issue of corruption. The Mayor of the city I reside in has been charged by the Independent Corruption Commission of Corruption and assault. A huge boat was found on his property which was given as a gift from a property developer. In another situation the whole city council of a city will soon be sacked and administrator appointed because of corruption. Zoning laws seem to get charged to allow high density units to be built. Years ago after an investigation into police corruption brothels were legalized no one with criminal background could own one and women could work from home as long as no one else was working there. The only problem with that is when I am checking out the newspaper classifieds for garage sales I get confronted by ads by these girls with the word "BUSTY" heading the advertisement.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Chap wrote:We had an excellent thread on this topic a couple of years back. TBM's who were not mopologists used to dare to post here back then.

The way that thread unrolled was one of the reasons why the poor innocents felt they had to withdraw to safer territory. They kept on gallantly trying to defend 'The Lord' who told the warriors to 'keep the virgins for themselves' when they had killed all the other women. I even tried to help them at one stage by suggested the warriors needed those girls to do embroidery ... but for some reason nothing seemed to work for them, and in the end they all fell silent. Sad, it was.

I do not recall being Mormon or withdrawing. I do remember futility thinking we were talking two different subjects. I was treating a story of uncertain historicity for the way it was presented in the narrative and you preferred to consider how you think actual events would have worked out in tribal warfare 3000 years ago. I was left thinking how would I know that for sure? I was also left thinking that if rape was the aim getting rid of the mature women and keeping the children would be bizarre.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

huckelberry wrote:I do not recall being Mormon or withdrawing. I do remember futility thinking we were talking two different subjects. ...

I'm happy to accept that you do not think that your point of view has been accurately represented. People interested in this issue (if any) will of course want to read the original thread, which was quite short.

viewtopic.php?p=894158#p894158

Since we are well off topic for this thread, perhaps we should leave it there.
Zadok:
Maksutov: