Ds leading Rs in registration by 12 million voters

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Ds leading Rs in registration by 12 million voters

Post by _subgenius »

aussieguy55 wrote:The Russians will probably hack the computers and deregister the Dems so Orange face keeps his majority in the Senate.

you're doing the math wrong.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:How does this contrast against previous election years?

Democrats often enjoy registration advantages because 1) There usually are more self-identified Democrats than Republicans and 2) Some longstanding registered Democrats are actually reliable Republican voters, especially in the South and Appalachia.

The question is if the registration advantage is particularly high this year, which would correspond to various other bits of data (polling, special election outcomes, ethusiasm gap measures, etc.) suggesting a substantial voter preference for Democrats this year.

2016 was a low voter turnout. Given the elections for 2018 I am not sure that Democratic registrations are significant inasmuch as those extra votes may just be cast for the Dem that going to win anyway. I mean extra California Dem voters ain't gonna matter much in 2018.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:2016 was a low voter turnout. Given the elections for 2018 I am not sure that Democratic registrations are significant inasmuch as those extra votes may just be cast for the Dem that going to win anyway. I mean extra California Dem voters ain't gonna matter much in 2018.

There's several vulnerable Republican house seats in California where a bunch of extra California Dem voters would matter a lot.

The geography of where more Democrats might be matters, but you're illustrating it with a wrong point.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

I cannot understand your voting system. In Australia we just register as a voter. We in the Federal election turn up at the voting booth give the them our name and address and they cross us off the list give us a piece of paper with the candidates we tick what we want and then place in a box. The Federal Government controls the election. The individual states have their own state electoral commissions for State elections. After the election each party receives funding based on the number of votes about $2.62 per vote. So minor parties have money to set up offices and employ staff.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

aussieguy55 wrote:I cannot understand your voting system. In Australia we just register as a voter. We in the Federal election turn up at the voting booth give the them our name and address and they cross us off the list give us a piece of paper with the candidates we tick what we want and then place in a box. The Federal Government controls the election. The individual states have their own state electoral commissions for State elections. After the election each party receives funding based on the number of votes about $2.62 per vote. So minor parties have money to set up offices and employ staff.

Primary elections are technically intraparty elections. So many state parties ask you to register as a member of their party so you can participate in their internal election process.

Not all states are like this. In WI, you just pick which party's primary you want to participate in on the day of election.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

The Democrats will need to win the nationwide popular vote by at least two million in order to take back the House. Gerrymandering is part of the reason why that is, but the biggest reason why that is that rural areas have become more Republican while urban areas have become much more Democratic.

Congresswoman Democratic Sinema is up in the polls in Arizona here, but that Senate race is likely going to tighten up pretty soon. Link
Since I am a register voter in Arizona here, I will be voting for her.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter