Psychedelics could reduce criminal behavior

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Psychedelics could reduce criminal behavior

Post by _msnobody »

"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Re: Psychedelics could reduce criminal behavior

Post by _Always Changing »

That survey confuses cause and effect. Personality traits predispose people to one class of drugs or another. I know that one person now at Florence Super-Max did LSD frequently in his late adolescence. Perhaps the cocaine study will reveal something. I have found that most people who are attracted to cocaine are highly materialistic.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I've heard several people discussing the alleged benefits of psychedelics lately. Interesting stuff. I can't imagine it's for everyone, but it's curious.

I guess one of the reasons this is only coming up lately is the stigma around studying the subject itself, since these kinds of studies were happening years ago and were essentially halted (or so I heard).
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

With the re-discovery that MJ has some legit medical uses, the stigma has lifted. The ban was probably because they did not screen participants for psychological conditions that would predispose them to adverse results.

Schmo, I thought you are a boomer. You don't need to deny it.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Always Changing wrote:Schmo, I thought you are a boomer. You don't need to deny it.

Well, not quite. I'm older Gen X.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_cacheman
_Emeritus

Post by _cacheman »

Most anything you do compulsively or even on a regular basis can, over time change your mindset and/or perspective. The interesting thing about psychedelics, is that they can effect those changes sometimes with only a single use, or occasional use. It's no wonder that psychadelics have played such a prominent role in past cultures around the world.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Always Changing wrote:That survey confuses cause and effect. Personality traits predispose people to one class of drugs or another. I know that one person now at Florence Super-Max did LSD frequently in his late adolescence. Perhaps the cocaine study will reveal something. I have found that most people who are attracted to cocaine are highly materialistic.

If cocaine were $10 a gram you'd see a lot of people who weren't highly materialistic get addicted to cocaine. A cocaine lifestyle requires a lot of disposable income. You're going to see a lot more people go from cocaine to meth than the other way 'round.

Personally I think experience of LSD and psilocybin is a large function of set and setting, but the psychedelic experience is not one size fits all. I've seen a couple of people have really bad trips. Both had some large repressed and unresolved issues.

Psychedelics can definitely take you out of your normal way of experiencing the world. It can fell a bit like poking your head above the clouds of your own existence. That can be liberating, profound, exhilarating, and sometime hysterically funny. But it can also be confusing, disorienting and terrifying. But with the right setting with the right guide and the right person, I can see how a psychedelic experience could possibly be beneficial for a person with P.T.S.D., for example. Just don't make the setting a shooting range with a bunch of AR-15s.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Set and setting absolutely critical. Need experienced trip guides. Not a bunch of flower children thinking it's all oohs and ahhhs.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov