The Climate is always changing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Post Reply
DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

The Climate is always changing

Post by DoubtingThomas »

In a new video Caitlin Hofmeister explains how the Sun has affected the Earth's climate for billions of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlYgFM9ndd4

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

A lively and well-presented video.

Takeaway point: variation in solar activity is extremely unlikely to be connected with the global warming and consequent climate change of past decades. That's down to greenhouse gases. Which means us.

Image

Image

Image
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12770
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by subgenius »

Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!

You could.

Return and report. Pay a research assistant if you can't manage to do it yourself.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12770
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!

You could.

Return and report. Pay a research assistant if you can't manage to do it yourself.

It is more cost effective to simply ask for that information from those who claim to have it.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!

You could.

Return and report. Pay a research assistant if you can't manage to do it yourself.

subgenius wrote:It is more cost effective to simply ask for that information from those who claim to have it.

So why don't you do just that?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12770
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote:It is more cost effective to simply ask for that information from those who claim to have it.


So why don't you do just that?

I did, but you have yet to respond.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
canpakes
God
Posts: 8401
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by canpakes »

DoubtingThomas wrote:In a new video Caitlin Hofmeister explains how the Sun has affected the Earth's climate for billions of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlYgFM9ndd4

(For subs ...)

Yes. Without the sun, it would be damn friggin’ cold outside.

In other news, fatness is caused by food. People have nothing to do with it. : )

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Maksutov »

The Sun has been a very boring object for astrophotography lately unless you use Hydrogen-Alpha filters. Haven't seen a decent sunspot in years. That's good for having fewer coronal discharges, which is good for humans who want their ionosphere operating normally. :razz:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote:It is more cost effective to simply ask for that information from those who claim to have it.

So why don't you do just that?

subgenius wrote:I did, but you have yet to respond.

I have never claimed to possess the specific information subgenius asked for, which was:

....the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period ....

I don't deny that (as some posters may have noticed) I have extensive search and access rights for a very wide range of scholarly and scientific publications. But if subgenius wants that information about forty years in the 14th century (which I don't currently have before me, and have never claimed to have before me), I am under no obligation to do the work for him,
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12770
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:I don't deny that (as some posters may have noticed) I have extensive search and access rights for a very wide range of scholarly and scientific publications. But if subgenius wants that information about forty years in the 14th century (which I don't currently have before me, and have never claimed to have before me), I am under no obligation to do the work for him,

was it not you that posted claims about the solar cycle and how the past few decades have been "the most dramatic warming in millions of years"?

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 0#p1130680

This seems to imply that you had some data for the years 1310 to 1350....or was your claim more of a lopsided comparison sort of thingy? (buttressed by an imposing sun image, of course).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
DarkHelmet
God
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by DarkHelmet »

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:I don't deny that (as some posters may have noticed) I have extensive search and access rights for a very wide range of scholarly and scientific publications. But if subgenius wants that information about forty years in the 14th century (which I don't currently have before me, and have never claimed to have before me), I am under no obligation to do the work for him,

was it not you that posted claims about the solar cycle and how the past few decades have been "the most dramatic warming in millions of years"?

viewtopic.php?p=1130680#p1130680

This seems to imply that you had some data for the years 1310 to 1350....or was your claim more of a lopsided comparison sort of thingy? (buttressed by an imposing sun image, of course).


You linked to this thread. Did you intend to link to a different thread?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

For anyone who missed it, this is my summary of the video referenced in the OP by DoubtingThomas.

Chap wrote:A lively and well-presented video.

Takeaway point: variation in solar activity is extremely unlikely to be connected with the global warming and consequent climate change of past decades. That's down to greenhouse gases. Which means us.

Image

Image

Image
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Chap wrote:A lively and well-presented video.

Takeaway point: variation in solar activity is extremely unlikely to be connected with the global warming and consequent climate change of past decades. That's down to greenhouse gases. Which means us.


Great summary. Thanks Chap.

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by DoubtingThomas »

subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!


The North Atlantic region isn't the entire globe dude. Stop watching too much Fox News.

Image


Image

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by DoubtingThomas »

subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!


"Climate change on pace to occur 10 times faster than any change recorded in past 65 million years, Stanford scientists say"
https://news.stanford.edu/news/2013/aug ... 80113.html
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ion-years/

User avatar
DarkHelmet
God
Posts: 5397
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by DarkHelmet »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
subgenius wrote:Can someone link to the average global temperature for the specific time period of 1310 to 1350 (anno domini)? ...and a record of sun activity for just that same time period would be helpful as well, thank you!


The North Atlantic region isn't the entire globe dude. Stop watching too much Fox News.

Image


Image


Is this what subbie is slowly getting to. He is going to present the medieval warm period? What part of "average GLOBAL temperature" do people not understand?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13890
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Chap »

DarkHelmet wrote:Is this what subbie is slowly getting to. He is going to present the medieval warm period? What part of "average GLOBAL temperature" do people not understand?


I don't think subgenius is 'getting to' anything. He's just enjoying wasting people's time. Half the time, he posts stuff that suggests he pays no real attention to what his interlocutors say.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

User avatar
Some Schmo
God
Posts: 14755
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Re: The Climate is always changing

Post by Some Schmo »

Chap wrote:I don't think subgenius is 'getting to' anything. He's just enjoying wasting people's time. Half the time, he posts stuff that suggests he pays no real attention to what his interlocutors say.

Only half the time?

You are an exceptionally charitable person.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests