Off-topic from "Fear of the left," regarding e-mails

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Fear Of The Left.......

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:You originally wrote, "Any PM or e-mail that violates the rules should be reported to Shades or a moderator." We don't, can't, and don't want to moderate e-mails.

I was referring to UR 8, which does govern e-mails.

Ahh, I see. I stand corrected.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Fear Of The Left.......

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Thanks be to whomever split this off.

Res Ipsa wrote:
I was referring to UR 8, which does govern e-mails.

You were addressing UR 3, when you said this:

Res Ipsa wrote:Any PM or e-mail that violates the rules should be reported to Shades or a moderator. UR 3 is not a shield against the consequences of violating the rules.

That's the comment to which Chap posed the question.

UR #3 was the only rule under discussion.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Off-topic from "Fear of the left," regarding e-mails

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl, I don’t understand. Obviously, my reference to PMs or e-mails that violate the rules was not a reference to UR 3, which applies to posted material. Was there something about my original post that was unclear?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

So. Dudes peacock up at each other and it gets really, really personal with family members getting brought in. Dude tells other dude he'd be happy to meet him and "talk things out" so to speak. Dude goes radio silent, so dude asks if anyone on the board knows about dude's in real life identity. crap happens behind the scenes, posts get made where dude mentions where dude works and other personal information (saw that one before it was edited by mods), and more crap happens behind the scenes. Dude commenting on dude and dude makes it known that crap happened behind the scenes and calls dude a coward. Moderators come in and delete personal in real life information and play the cleaners.

Personal threats are clear rule violations. Posting in real life information is clearly a rule violation. Making threats towards other posters is a clear rule violation (though I think it's 9 not 8 though 8 could be involved behind the scenes if some of that included threatening the board or the moderation team with legal action or the like).

I guess I don't see what's so hard to get.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:I guess I don't see what's so hard to get.

I don't get why you think something is hard to get.
Chinese Proverb
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
honorentheos wrote:I guess I don't see what's so hard to get.

I don't get why you think something is hard to get.

Then the derail was for kicks rather than clarification. Got it.

ETA: Look, universal rule 9 is there to deal with the issue you raised with rule 3. That being, if someone is attacking you behind the scenes through email or PM then making it known to the moderators and shades is the venue for dealing with it rather than posting their emails and PMs on the board so a person can live out their fantasy of starting up a posse. Res said as much. So, again, I don't see what's so hard to get.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I don't get why you think something is hard to get.

Then the derail was for kicks rather than clarification. Got it.

I see that Chap asked for clarification. Is that what you were thinking about?
Chinese Proverb
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:I see that Chap asked for clarification. Is that what you were thinking about?

That and your comment to Res as to why he referenced rule 8 when you brought up your concern with rule 3. I think he meant rule 9 rather than 8 as 9 pertains to threats to board members and rule 8 refers to threats to the board or its moderator team.
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:I see that Chap asked for clarification. Is that what you were thinking about?

That and your comment to Res as to why he referenced rule 8 when you brought up your concern with rule 3. I think he meant rule 9 rather than 8 as 9 pertains to threats to board members and rule 8 refers to threats to the board or its moderator team.

God knows, honor. God knows.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:

Thanks, Honor. Both UR 8 and 9 apply to e-mails, but I was primarily thinking of 9. The 8 was a typo.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951