Liberal Logic 101

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Liberal Logic 101

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:Why don't all employers just pay the minimum wage?

Because quite often:

(a) They have to compete to attract qualified people in a jobs market where such people are not in over-supply.

(b) Their workers are unionised.

And sometimes both.

In the case of other jobs, where all that is required is the capacity to do simple unskilled tasks, there may well be a surplus of willing labor, and you can pay the lowest wages that find takers, unless there is a minimum wage.

That's cool..not sure of the relevance, but that's cool.
There are, of course, several other reasons as well....like how many employers pat people more because they deserve it, and the employer is not greedy....but that is not staying on message, is it?

https://www.minimum-wage.org/articles/m ... exemptions
Farm workers, seasonal workers, other exempt jobs
Tipped employees
Minors and young workers
Full time and vocational students
Employees with disabilities
Minimum wage exempt organizations
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Liberal Logic 101

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:Why don't all employers just pay the minimum wage?

Because quite often:

(a) They have to compete to attract qualified people in a jobs market where such people are not in over-supply.

There are, of course, several other reasons as well....like how many employers pat people more because they deserve it, and the employer is not greedy....but that is not staying on message, is it?

{ETA: I assume you meant 'PAY people more'. But maybe they pat them too?]

Most people work for organisations where the personal generosity of an individual owner-employer does not enter into the equation. When I have had to make recommendations on the pay of my subordinates, I have done so on the basis that:

(a) I try to estimate what somebody of their skills, experience and application to the job in hand might earn in other similar organisations.

(b) I try to estimate the importance to the organisation of retaining that particular employee, and the likelihood that they might be willing to seek work work elsewhere in order to get a better salary, as well as trying to judge whether the employee themselves feels that they are currently fairly paid.

(c) I then balance those factors against one another and come up with a recommendation that I believe to be in the interests of the organisation. And of course it is in the interests of an organisation to be seen to be fair, if it wants to attract good employees.

... basically like I said above. Do you not do that in your country?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.