It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liberal Logic 101
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:47 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
subs, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve totally got this ‘shallow tool’ thing down pat.

I can't take all the credit, schreech has been a great inspiration and example. He has set the bar pretty high, so your support is appreciated.

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:
subs, don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve totally got this ‘shallow tool’ thing down pat.

I can't take all the credit, schreech has been a great inspiration and example. He has set the bar pretty high, so your support is appreciated.

By all means, you have my unwavering support in your continued downward spiral.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am 
God

subgenius wrote:

Is this an accurate inference about Liberal Logic?

Well. This is the very first time I've ever this comparison. I guess I'd say both represent a vastly overcompensated and undertaxed individual for the work they do. We're running a $21T deficit. Either the $ gets devalued quickly or this trend we're on is unsustainable. Then again I voted for Perot so what do I know?

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm 
God

I would include many top professional athletes in the vastly overcompensated and undertaxed category.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:03 pm 
God

Gunnar wrote:
I would include many top professional athletes in the vastly overcompensated and undertaxed category.

Depends on the athlete/sport. I personally think football players are underpaid, given what they're doing to their own long-term health.

The fact that they're doing it voluntarily is irrelevant (in case anyone was thinking it was). I don't think young players fully grasp what they're doing to themselves, TBH.

"Good thing your safe space isn't being violated with the horrors of self-awareness." - Dmetri Cromwell (some guy on Facebook)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm 
God

Some Schmo wrote:
I personally think football players are underpaid, given what they're doing to their own long-term health.

The fact that they're doing it voluntarily is irrelevant (in case anyone was thinking it was). I don't think young players fully grasp what they're doing to themselves, TBH.

You may have a good point when it comes to football players.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 pm 
God

DarkHelmet wrote:
The meme uses one of the most beloved characters in history (a character who is recognized and loved by people in all demographic groups) as the villain, and portrays some fat, balding douchebag as the hero. Seriously, the "hero" in your meme looks like an imperial officer.

Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 am 
God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 am 
God

Why don't all employers just pay the minimum wage?

Because quite often:

(a) They have to compete to attract qualified people in a jobs market where such people are not in over-supply.

(b) Their workers are unionised.

And sometimes both.

In the case of other jobs, where all that is required is the capacity to do simple unskilled tasks, there may well be a surplus of willing labor, and you can pay the lowest wages that find takers, unless there is a minimum wage.

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 am 
God

Chap wrote:

Because quite often:

(a) They have to compete to attract qualified people in a jobs market where such people are not in over-supply.

(b) Their workers are unionised.

And sometimes both.

In the case of other jobs, where all that is required is the capacity to do simple unskilled tasks, there may well be a surplus of willing labor, and you can pay the lowest wages that find takers, unless there is a minimum wage.

That's cool..not sure of the relevance, but that's cool.
There are, of course, several other reasons as well....like how many employers pat people more because they deserve it, and the employer is not greedy....but that is not staying on message, is it?

https://www.minimum-wage.org/articles/m ... exemptions
Farm workers, seasonal workers, other exempt jobs
Tipped employees
Minors and young workers
Full time and vocational students
Employees with disabilities
Minimum wage exempt organizations

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:

Because quite often:

There are, of course, several other reasons as well....like how many employers pat people more because they deserve it, and the employer is not greedy....but that is not staying on message, is it?

{ETA: I assume you meant 'PAY people more'. But maybe they pat them too?]

Most people work for organisations where the personal generosity of an individual owner-employer does not enter into the equation. When I have had to make recommendations on the pay of my subordinates, I have done so on the basis that:

(a) I try to estimate what somebody of their skills, experience and application to the job in hand might earn in other similar organisations.

(b) I try to estimate the importance to the organisation of retaining that particular employee, and the likelihood that they might be willing to seek work work elsewhere in order to get a better salary, as well as trying to judge whether the employee themselves feels that they are currently fairly paid.

(c) I then balance those factors against one another and come up with a recommendation that I believe to be in the interests of the organisation. And of course it is in the interests of an organisation to be seen to be fair, if it wants to attract good employees.

... basically like I said above. Do you not do that in your country?

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.