It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Resisting the pressure to normalize
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 pm 
God

honor I don't really feel like starting a new thread for what I was referring to so putting it here. I'm a little reluctant because I don't want it to cause a derail. Anyway it's about the story of Jahi McMath that began in 2013. She recently died (that's a matter of debate central to her story) and how they are reporting on the surgery that initially caused her to become brain dead (again, that's the central debate). There'll be a post mortem study on her brain that will hopefully settle the debate or open up a new one. My concern is that some parents will be afraid to greenlight routine tonsillectomies because that's what they're saying she had (and have made the same error from the start) and that is not the case.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:34 pm 
God

Thanks, Jersey Girl. I could see how a parent reading a kid died, or suffered brain death, following tonsillectomy surgery might over-estimate the risk without knowing the particular surgery in the story involved additional complications. So I think I see what you are saying. It does seem the story I saw about the death on the NPR website from a couple of days ago focused on the debate over that family's fight to keep her on support despite the doctors and a judge ruling she was brain dead and simply noted the original surgery was a tonsillectomy without describing it as complicated or routine. I don't know about that one as from one side it doesn't seem to be in conflict with regards to the procedure as it didn't qualify it as either complex or routine, but I can see your take on it and assume you are more tied in to the social groups where the focus would be on the fear of the procedure causing someone to overestimate the risks compared with the need.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:00 am 
God

honor, here are quotes from recent reports on Jahi McMath. Trying to make this as unobtrusive as I can so as not to derail. There were more. Some sources were accurate in describing the complex surgery or referred to it as throat surgery. Yes, what appears below would be disturbing to at least a portion of parents and has the power to influence their choices.

NPR

McMath had been on a ventilator since 2013. In December of that year, she had a tonsillectomy at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland in California, which resulted in complications. Doctors there said McMath had irreversible brain damage, and a coroner issued a death certificate.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/29/62464131 ... ath-has-di

Washington Post

Shortly after waking up from her tonsil-removal surgery, Jahi McMath started coughing up blood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... d3686fc06f

CBS News

McMath's case drew national attention when her family refused to accept the conclusion of doctors who declared the girl dead in December 2013, when she was 13, after suffering irreversible brain damage during routine surgery in California to remove her tonsils

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jahi-mcmat ... ther-says/

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh