Help doing Google site searches.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Help doing Google site searches.

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I know some of you are very good at searching this and other sites for content using Google. I fail consistently when I am looking for specific content on this site. I have long since given up using the search function here also.

I am looking for step by step instructions on how to find a specific post made here. For example, a few years back I wrote a post explaining what I think happened in the event we now refer to as the First Vision.

If anyone could find that using Google site search and would be willing to give me the actual text they typed into Google to find it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Help doing Google site searches.

Post by _Maksutov »

Was it in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42159&start=63

I entered the following as a Google search:

mormondiscussions.com fencesitter "first vision"
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Thanks Mak.

That is not the specific one I am looking for but that was one about the first vision in which I participated.

I think the one I am looking for was one I started, but it has been so long I am not sure.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I got a PM from an old friend here who suggested this for a search.

"Fence Sitter" "First Vision" site:mormondiscussions.com

and the third result was the one I was looking for.

http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22073

I think part of my problem was using an ampersand '&' between my screen name and first vision, when I should have been using quotation marks so that both terms appeared in every return. I am not very good with boolean operators.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

You started this one:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47484&start=21&hilit=F%2Arst+Vi%2Aion

fence sitter wrote: Someone trying to answer a question about the first vision is going to run into the fact there are multiple versions and how it was not even well know until after the move west. The same sort of problem will happen with researching the Book of Abraham, polygamy, or if one starts tracking down sources used to justify the succession to current leadership.

ETA just saw you found what you wanted.

Just for future reference, searching here with asterisks helps , i found the above by putting "F*rst Vi*sion" into search box, your screen name in author box.

The search feature here only seems to go back a year, though, so it's not too helpful, and for some reason almost all words seem to come back as too generic for a search unless you add the asterisk wildcard.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Thanks Lemmie.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Fence Sitter wrote:I think part of my problem was using an ampersand '&' between my screen name and first vision, when I should have been using quotation marks so that both terms appeared in every return. I am not very good with boolean operators.

Never use an ampersand in a search field.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

When I did a psychic google search as to where Anthony Bourdain has gone, it came back with "Parts Unknown".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Fence Sitter wrote:I know some of you are very good at searching this and other sites for content using Google. I fail consistently when I am looking for specific content on this site. I have long since given up using the search function here also.

I am looking for step by step instructions on how to find a specific post made here. For example, a few years back I wrote a post explaining what I think happened in the event we now refer to as the First Vision.

If anyone could find that using Google site search and would be willing to give me the actual text they typed into Google to find it, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

when searching use the following after your keywords:
"site:mormondiscussions.com" (no quotes, and no http: etc).
The "site:" with whatever domain you are searching will search only that location.
good luck!
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent