Lost Children

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Lost Children

Post by _EAllusion »

In of approximately 7000 migrant children to be put into "foster care or whatever" by HHS accounted for at the end of 2017 the government has lost 1475 of them. Some of them are definitely going to human traffickers. I missed this story on the first go around last month, but neat.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/arti ... ed-minors/

Something to think about as the government starts ramping up splitting migrant parents from their children and sending those children away into the same system that is losing track of unaccompanied minors at a blistering pace.

This is straight up evil.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Lost Children

Post by _canpakes »

I'm sure that some fine, evangelical-type Trump voters will be by any moment to explain how this is an important and necessary policy component of compassionate conservatism.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

canpakes wrote:I'm sure that some fine, evangelical-type Trump voters will be by any moment to explain how this is an important and necessary policy component of compassionate conservatism.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... b791f02ce7

Pew surveyed Americans on US responsibility to accept refugees. No demographic group was more hostile to the idea than white evangelicals. I haven't been exposed to the "No refugees!" evangelical prooftexting, but I'm sure it exists, and I'm sure it is lovely.

I'm guessing if you were to do a similar poll, the highest support for a policy like this would likely also come from white evangelicals.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

EAllusion wrote:Something to think about as the government starts ramping up splitting migrant parents from their children and sending those children away into the same system that is losing track of unaccompanied minors at a blistering pace.

This is straight up evil.

Republicans say the FOSTA-SESTA law is to fight sex trafficking. But the reality is that FOSTA-SESTA is nothing more than a war on sex outside marriage, not a war on sex trafficking. The GOP doesn't care about fighting sex trafficking. If GOP truly cared about victims of sex trafficking, they would put an end to the ongoing war on undocumented immigrants.

The Republicans are a bunch of lying hypocrites.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

DoubtingThomas wrote:The Republicans are a bunch of lying hypocrites.

And nothing has done more to accentuate and exacerbate that reality than the election of DJT! If one is both honest and well-informed, though, one cannot avoid the realization that lying hypocrites can also be found in the ranks of the Democrats (and, of course, other parties). Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies! They hardly even try to hide the fact!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:If one is both honest and well-informed, though, one cannot avoid the realization that lying hypocrites can also be found in the ranks of the Democrats (and, of course, other parties). Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies! They hardly even try to hide the fact!

While it's true that most pols are lying hypocrites, it's almost useless to point that out in the face of what we're seeing from the GOP these days. It's the difference between finding traces of rat crap in your salad and eating a rat crap salad.

What redeeming thing can you say about the GOP these days? If you want to get a sense of how imbalanced the two parties are right now, just compare each party's apologetics. Republicans are damned lunatics. They'd have you believe the sky is purple.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gunnar wrote:If one is both honest and well-informed, though, one cannot avoid the realization that lying hypocrites can also be found in the ranks of the Democrats (and, of course, other parties). Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies! They hardly even try to hide the fact!

While it's true that most pols are lying hypocrites, it's almost useless to point that out in the face of what we're seeing from the GOP these days. It's the difference between finding traces of rat crap in your salad and eating a rat crap salad.

What redeeming thing can you say about the GOP these days? If you want to get a sense of how imbalanced the two parties are right now, just compare each party's apologetics. Republicans are damned lunatics. They'd have you believe the sky is purple.

I wholeheartedly agree with your entire response! As I said:
Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies! They hardly even try to hide the fact!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Gunnar wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with your entire response! As I said:
Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies! They hardly even try to hide the fact!

you blatantly and unapologetically don't understand that "egregious" is an adjective.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Gunnar wrote:And nothing has done more to accentuate and exacerbate that reality than the election of DJT!

It's almost like you can see Subgenius standing on the beach saying, "quit tilting at windmills" as Typhoon Trump roars ashore.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

subby subby, subby, You are really losing it now! Of course I realize that "egregious" is an adjective! That is exactly how I used the word, you dummy!

Besides that, you left out the apostrophe in "don't."

You apparently assumed that the implied word I left out of
Nevertheless, none are more blatantly and unapologetically egregious than Trump and his cronies!]
after the word "egregious" was "hypocritical", in which case I should have used "egregiously." However, the word I left out was "hypocrites", in which case "egregious" was the correct modifier. You know what they say about assuming things--right? :wink:

― Harlan Ellison