Should woman be charge for false police report

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Should woman be charge for false police report

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
If she doesn’t face criminal charges, I really hope the officer and/or department seek a civil case.

Aren't civil cases kind of meaningless if the defendant is indigent?

Meaningless in regards to a financial windfall for the plaintiff(s)? Probably.

Meaningless in regards to justice being served? I personally don't believe so.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:She should be charged with filing a false police report. If she lied under oath, she should be charged with perjury. Is this supposed to be a hard question?

Point taken.

But isn't the essence of the question, what do those separate charges amount to? In other words, what is the appropriate punishment for the kind of crime this woman committed?

When I mentioned perjury, I was saying that whatever courts give people for perjury might be appropriate, since it seems similar to what's happening in this case: lying to officials.

But I'm not a lawyer so I wouldn't be surprised to find out the punishment for filing a false police report is not equal to the punishment for perjury.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

ajax18 wrote:My question is what do the liberals on this board think the penalty for this woman bearing false witness should be?

Dude come on! People aren't so stupid. Even most feminists think false accusers so go to jail.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Here is a very scary statistic.

Of the 136 cases of sexual assault 8 (5.9%) were coded as false reports ... and 19 (13.9%) contained insufficient information to be coded"

Lisak, David, et al. "False allegations of sexual assault: An analysis of ten years of reported cases." Violence Against Women 16.12 (2010): 1318-1334.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Here is a very scary statistic.

Of the 136 cases of sexual assault 8 (5.9%) were coded as false reports ... and 19 (13.9%) contained insufficient information to be coded"

Lisak, David, et al. "False allegations of sexual assault: An analysis of ten years of reported cases." Violence Against Women 16.12 (2010): 1318-1334.

In a past life in another State, I volunteered (and was subsequently trained) as a victim's advocate with a rape response organization supported in part by United Way.

As I recall, more than one in ten calls turned out to be females who had engaged in consensual sex, often while intoxicated or high (not unconscious or incapacitated), felt remorse or regret afterwards, and decided to seek attention, justification or revenge.

It was one of these cases, where it was obvious from the physical evidence that there had been multiple sexual couplings in the client's bedroom over an extended period of time, with a client whose story kept changing, that convinced me to give it up.

As advocates, we were instructed that any determination of truthfulness of the victim's story was up to law enforcement and the courts and that were to to assume that all "clients" were telling the truth, and treat them accordingly.

Pretending to be an advocate and to have empathy and concern for immature individuals who were obviously lying and not willing to face the consequences of their actions felt much the same to me as attending Church and pretending to believe in all the BS typical of that environment.

I lasted about 9 months.

I know, right?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

DrW wrote:I lasted about 9 months.

I know, right?

Thanks for sharing your experience DrW.

Here is more of the study

Of the 136 cases of sexual assault 8 (5.9%) were coded as false reports, 61 (44.9%) did not proceed to any prosecution or disciplinary action, 48 (35.3%) were referred for prosecution or disciplinary action, and 19 (13.9%) contained insufficient information to be coded (see Table 2). It should be noted that in no case did the research team “override” the classification of a false report made by the police department. The eight cases that were described as false reports by the police investigators were also categorized that way by the coders. Of the eight false reports, three involved clear admissions from complainants that they had fabricated the report for ulterior motives, and a fourth investigation yielded a partial admission, combined with other evidence that facts had been fabricated. Three cases were coded as false reports after extensive police investigation—multiple witness interviews and careful fact checking—yielded evidence that the reports were fabricated, even though the complainant did not ultimately state that her report was false. A final case was coded as a false report even though it was complex and ambiguous. The complainant recanted her report, but the facts yielded by the investigation suggested that her initial report was as much a mislabeling of the incident as a deliberate effort to fabricate.

Five percent of reports are proven to be a complete fabrication, but it may be the case that more than 10% of reports are false or inaccurate.

As a young man I won't be able to have sex with a woman without being a little afraid of being falsely accused. It is a very scary time for us men.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:She should be charged with filing a false police report. If she lied under oath, she should be charged with perjury. Is this supposed to be a hard question?

No, not a hard question, I'm just curious. For instance the district attorney declined to prosecute Crystal Mangum for filing a false police report that led to the Duke Lacrosse non rape debacle.

Wow. The Duke scandal was over 10 years ago, and you are still feeling oppressed by it?

It’s interesting how the crowd that reacts this way to this single event over a decade ago is the same crowd that thinks all blacks should have already ‘gotten over’ the effects of 4 centuries of slavery and Jim Crow, given their 50 years to adjust since.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Wow. The Duke scandal was over 10 years ago, and you are still feeling oppressed by it?

Hey Canpakes, thanks for chiming in. I'd like to get your opinion on this. Do you think Crystal Mangum should have been charged with filing a false police report? What should her punishment have been? Or do you think charging her for lying to the police about this rape hoax as a means of revenge after feeling disrespected by the Lacrosse team would discourage actual rape victims from coming forward?

Meaningless in regards to justice being served? I personally don't believe so.

The Duke players were able to sue the university I believe. But how would justice be served by bringing Crystal Mangum into civil court?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

to note, Duke Lacrosse is in final four this weekend.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

DrW wrote: As I recall, more than one in ten calls turned out to be females who had engaged in consensual sex, often while intoxicated or high (not unconscious or incapacitated), felt remorse or regret afterwards, and decided to seek attention, justification or revenge.

DrW wrote: Pretending to be an advocate and to have empathy and concern for immature individuals who were obviously lying

If one in ten (or 1 in 5) are obviously lying, then it makes me wonder how many are good liars, and how many are having a false memory.