MAGA candidate Patrick Morrisey wins WV Republican primary

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: MAGA candidate Patrick Morrisey wins WV Republican prima

Post by _subgenius »

Dr. Shades wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Why are you so Republican? Come on cinepro I know you are a smart guy

I respectfully request that you always place a period at the end of your last sentence.

I have asked before, and I will ask again....is this oddly insistent punctuation request related to AI or data mining? I ask because, among other reasons, no other grammar gets this level of attention from you.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

WV is the most Pro-Trump State in the country. Trump won WV by as much as 42.2%.

I lived their during the reign of WJC. I remember WJC winning their just as big as DJT won over Hillary Clinton. I didn't like WJC and was in the minority. To me, things have really changed in WV, PA, OH, and the rest of the rust belt.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

West Virginia is an interesting case. Go back to the United Mine Workers, and this state was deep blue, pro-union. The biggest rift between Democrats and West Virginians is the environmental concerns about coal. Most people see the Democratic party as being unfriendly to coal, and they're right. Coal is a dying industry, even without environmental concerns.

West Virginia is pretty much the opiate crisis center of White America, and I think that adds to the feeling that employment is desperately needed to counteract the addiction problem. You have a region that, without coal, is severely economically depressed with a large population of addicts. The state needs tax money and revenue.

The candidacy of Don Blankenship seemed to be a case of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend'. A couple of years ago I read a book about Blankenship, The Price of Justice. Reading it was an instructive introduction to his venality. The fact that 1 out of 5 Republicans in West Virginia would vote for a man whose shoddy practices were contributory in the deaths of 29 miners is indicative of an 'us against the world' attitude.

A friend of mine was disappointed that Blankenship lost, feeling that he would have been the weaker candidate against Joe Manchin in the fall. I'm happy he lost. The last thing we need is to add more fuel to the fire of crazy.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

The biggest rift between Democrats and West Virginians is the environmental concerns about coal. Most people see the Democratic party as being unfriendly to coal, and they're right.

Remember that WV was gerrymandered to benefit the Democrat coal miners union. The eastern panhandle does not have many coal mines. It's wealthy retirees trying to get away from Washington D.C. This is the growing population in WV. The southern part of the state (the more stereotypical WV) has been losing population for over 30 years. Also, there was an undercurrent of conservatism even in the attitudes of old WV Democrats For instance my grandfather was a Democrat yet he detested welfare, spent very little money, and hung on to independence as a farmer rather than taking a job to work for someone else. He probably turned over in his grave knowing what the state took from his sons as inheritance tax. I can't imagine he would still belong to the party of Jesse Jackson Jr. and Maxine Waters if he were alive today.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

subgenius wrote:I have asked before, and I will ask again....is this oddly insistent punctuation request related to AI or data mining?

Not at all. Even if I wanted to do such a thing, I have no idea how.

I ask because, among other reasons, no other grammar gets this level of attention from you.

It's like nails on a chalkboard is all.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

ajax18 wrote:I lived their during the reign of WJC. I remember WJC winning their just as big as DJT won over Hillary Clinton. I didn't like WJC and was in the minority. To me, things have really changed in WV, PA, OH, and the rest of the rust belt.

Yeah, Ohio has also changed over the last few years. Trump won Ohio by a larger margin than he did Georgia and NC. The OH incumbent GOP Senator won his reelection by as much as 20 percentage points.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter