Michelle Wolf - Correspondents Dinner

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Michelle Wolf - Correspondents Dinner

Post by _EAllusion »

cinepro wrote:This seems to be a step in the evolution of what these dinners could be, and I hope it is corrected back to something that is more civil. I don't object to "calling out" the people in power using humor, but Wolf's speech just wasn't that funny. Sure, being vulgar and mean can sometimes be very funny (especially if it's done with some wit), but just being mean and vulgar in and of themselves doesn't mean you're being funny.

But if this is what we want, the real test will be to see if in the future a democratic administration invites a conservative firebrand to "roast" the President. I'd love to see Anne Coulter go 15 minutes in that room with a democrat in the White House.
I thought it was a solid routine. The groan-inducing abortion set-up, which had to be groan-inducing to get her to the punchline, was off-key. Otherwise, most of the jokes landed and some landed pretty hard.

We've gone through this dance a few times before. Stephen Colbert called George W. Bush a lying warmonger to his face to the point that it got uncomfortable. He got some flack for it even though it was probably the best comic bit ever done at these dinners. George W. Bush for his part did a high-larious bit about not being able to find WMD's that was well received by the crowd because nothing is funnier than deceiving a nation into a war that cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Roasting the powerful has been part of the event for a long time now. That's partially why the reaction to the WHCD who hired a comedian specifically for that purpose acting all upset that she did what she was hired to do is so eyeroll worthy.

Ann Coulter just isn't funny. One of the odd things about American conservatism is there are no funny conservatives. Or, rather, the funny ones are almost to a person libertarian. It's hard not to read this as social conservatism being tightly correlated with being humorless. There's a ton of writing on why this may be, including some academic research into the phenomenon, but I don't think there's an entirely satisfactory explanation out there.

------------------------

Regarding the reaction to the jokes as attacking Sanders for her appearance, that's just ridiculous. The Haberman's of the world continue to be awful. The eye makeup bit is where she references her appearance, but the point of the joke is about Sanders lying. The makeup line isn't negative. If anything, it's a compliment. The only other thing that could be construed as a reference to her appearance is when she is compared to Aunt Lydia in Hand Maiden's tale. And while there is some vague resemblance, that joke is entirely about comparing villainy. To call that an intense disparagement of her looks, a person would have to think that Aunt Lydia looks terrible, Sanders looks like her, and infer that the joke is saying she looks terrible like her. That's both a stupid misreading of what's going on, and the listener doing all the disparaging of looks work themselves. Haberman actually argued that comparing to her to someone who divides people up into softball teams was attacking her appearence too. That makes even less sense than the first two. It implies Maggie Haberman thinks that softball coaches are ugly. It's a platonic ideal of "the calls are coming from inside the house".

Meanwhile, the routine did include a actual dig on McConnell's turkey neck and no one seems to be saying a thing about that.

All of this makes it look like they are falling over themselves to prove how objective and unbiased they are by criticizing someone calling a serial liar a liar. Or maybe her line about the Trump driving business for the media figures in the crowd hit a little too hard.

Then on top of all this, it's hard not to notice that the president of the United States is essentially a terrible insult comic whose main approach to almost anything is semi-incoherent bullying. If her comic routine makes you grab your fainting coach, I don't know how you aren't apoplectic every single day at Republican leadership and given that they aren't, I call shenanigans on this performative outrage.

I used to think the WHCD was something that should just die already, but incidents like this make me wonder if it performs a service in showing what empty shills the people at them are.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

EAllusion wrote: That's partially why the reaction to the WHCD who hired a comedian specifically for that purpose acting all upset that she did what she was hired to do is so eyeroll worthy.

Trumple Thinskin can't even show up and now his whole base is crapping their pants over some jokes. Then again one of the greatest jokes ever played on an entire body politic was played by a man with not a single redeeming characteristic. He's almost uniquely repugnant, a living double-down of one awful character trait after another (think of him as the Rocky Road ice cream of Mormon Discussions Conservative posters, heavy on the nuts).

Then again, now that I think about it, does a man who has cheated on all of his wives, partied with a convicted pedophile and likely a child rapist, sexualized his own daughter, cut off medical coverage to his own grand-nephew, speaks like a toddler, started a scam university, and is in possession of an ignorance is so sweeping he couldn't name all three branches of the federal government really want to be the butt of some jokes? I mean, the lack of material comedians would have to work with would take them at least three days to prepare.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:... really want to be the butt of some jokes? I mean, the lack of material comedians would have to work with would take them at least three days to prepare.

- Doc

There's a school of thought that Trump decided to run for president to get back at having been made fun of at a WHCD in 2011.

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-ba ... her-2016-9

I think these banquets are bad and was hoping Trump's boycotts would people to move past them.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If Clint Eastwood is still in good health, perhaps the White House Correspondents could have him recreate his empty chair routine next year or maybe they could just play a video of Trump saying fake news from all the compiled news reports.

The part about Huckabee Sanders was rather hard-hitting even while not being about her appearance. Surely she does more in her job capacity than simply lie.

Using the tree falling in a forest for Kellyann Conway was very funny. If a tree fell in the forest would Kellyann Conway seek to deflect it by citing Trump's deforestation initiative?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

moksha wrote:Using the tree falling in a forest for Kellyann Conway was very funny. If a tree fell in the forest would Kellyann Conway seek to deflect it by citing Trump's deforestation initiative?

They needed you, flightless bird.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I mean, the lack of material comedians would have to work with would take them at least three days to prepare.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/de ... aed1bcdd01

In case anyone missed the 3-day reference.

Internet Burns Former ‘SNL’ Comic For Needing 3 Days To Write Michelle Wolf Jokes

Someone pointed out that needing three days to write jokes is the very definition of “slow-witted.”

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

One poster cites the reason for Dennis Miller's slower response time in his proposed roast of Michelle Wolf:

Obscure references to enlightenment philosophers and 1950s baseball players don’t write themselves. Dude is scouring a World Book encyclopedia.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace