Why are semi-automatic rifles legal?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Last month zero people died in the Youtube headquarters mass shooting because the shooter didn't use a rifle. Today in Tennessee four people died. When are people going to realize that rifles do kill people?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Why are semi-automatic rifles legal?

Post by _subgenius »

huh? pretty sure 14 people in San Bernadino disagree with you...

but to your point, people do realize that people use rifles to kill people...they also use poison, knives, pistols, pillows, cars, rope, bare-hands, and other items to kill people....and pistols kill way more people than rifles (like at a rate of 25 to 1)....so why are you so emotional about a weapon that kills way less people? knives are used in more murders than rifles, heck blunt objects are competitive with rifles when it comes to murder, and yeah those are a bit down the list.
So anyway, why the hair fire?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

It is true that murder can be accomplished by all sorts of means. There is no possibility of preventing murder by removing the means of its accomplishment.

There are entirely different considerations involved for semiautomatic weapons. They can kill lots of people and ward off a fair bit of resistance. They can enable an individual to feel like the God of Destruction for some fifteen minutes or so. There are people who have a deep desire for that thrill.

If you consider a rifle with limited capacity it is good for hunting. It would be good for home defense. It requires consideration of what you do with the limited shots. It is a much less inviting tool for mass destruction.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:but to your point, people do realize that people use rifles to kill people...they also use poison, knives, pistols, pillows, cars, rope, bare-hands, and other items to kill people....and pistols kill way more people than rifles (like at a rate of 25 to 1)....so why are you so emotional about a weapon that kills way less people?

So? I'm sure he is worries about handgun killings as well.

knives are used in more murders than rifles, heck blunt objects are competitive with rifles when it comes to murder, and yeah those are a bit down the list.

Actually firearms account for most murders, but I think most who use something like a knife probably would prefer a gun which is much more effective at killing.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

The guy in Tennessee had been arrested at the White House, trying to arrange a meeting with Donald Trump. His gun license was revoked at that time, but his guns were returned to his father, who illegally gave him back the guns.

So on the one hand, shame on the father. On the other hand, the government just handed the guns back to the father and made him promise to keep the guns away from his son.

Yeah, that'll work.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It is impossible to predict the timetable for when woodland animals begin to organize and conduct a campaign of terror throughout the U.S. The best defense for this threat is to have semi-automatic rifles available to valiant defenders who are not squeamish about opening fire in crowded areas.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

They're illegal in Mexico. Go live there and see if criminals still have semi automatic rifles or not.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

subgenius wrote:huh? pretty sure 14 people in San Bernadino disagree with you...

but to your point, people do realize that people use rifles to kill people...they also use poison, knives, pistols

The Youtube shooter used a pistol, but how many people did she kill? You obviously didn't get my point at all.

Zero people died in the Youtube Shooting in California
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

I corrected my opening post.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
subgenius wrote:huh? pretty sure 14 people in San Bernadino disagree with you...

but to your point, people do realize that people use rifles to kill people...they also use poison, knives, pistols

The Youtube shooter used a pistol, but how many people did she kill? You obviously didn't get my point at all.

Zero people died in the Youtube Shooting in California

no, i get your point - it is just that your point is not good or reasonable. Rifle assaults are stopped and not-stopped...the same with pistols, knives, and rocks. Still, an overwhelming number of more pistols are used to kill people than rifles....other weapons even kill more than rifles. So your notion for why a rifle should be illegal is not supported by the same sort of evidence and statistics that our society uses to make stuff illegal.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent