Mexican Murder Rate Soars

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Mexican Murder Rate Soars

Post by _ajax18 »

Some 7,667 people were killed in Mexico in the first quarter of 2018, up 20 percent on the same period last year, making it the most violent year in two decades, government figures showed Sunday.

In 2017, the figure stood at 6,406 violent deaths, according to the Mexican security services.

The worst month was March, when 2,729 people were killed, most of them shot dead. January’s figure stood at 2,549 murders, with another 2,389 in February.

The bloodshed follows a proliferation of gangs involved in drug trafficking, as well as stealing fuel, kidnappings, extortion and other criminal activities.
In 2017, a total of 25,339 people were killed in Mexico, the highest number since monitoring began 10 years earlier.

The violence comes as Mexico gears up for a July 1 ballot that will include presidential elections as well as a vote for the two branches of Congress and a number of local seats.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/mexico-mu ... -3-months/

Why is this so when Mexico has all but prohibited firearms?
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Mexican Murder Rate Soars

Post by _Gadianton »

Because America hasn't.

This is an externality a country suffers thanks to your need to shoot cans and be a collector.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kittens_and_Jesus
_Emeritus

Post by _Kittens_and_Jesus »

I wonder where they got their guns... Maybe from the country that buys their drugs...
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. - O'Sensei
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

ajax18 wrote: Why is this so when Mexico has all but prohibited firearms?

Because in Mexico there are huge criminal organizations. The Mexican cartels have military weapons like rocket launchers and machine guns. Here is a helicopter shooting at cartel leaders with a powerful machine gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vALhuas5v2A

The criminal organizations in the US are not as big and powerful.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

By the way, the suicide rate in Mexico is very low.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

ajax18 wrote:Some 7,667 people were killed in Mexico in the first quarter of 2018, up 20 percent on the same period last year, making it the most violent year in two decades, government figures showed Sunday.

Why is this so when Mexico has all but prohibited firearms?

You know, I imagine Mexicans are asking that same question: Why can't we have the protection and safety that second amendment-like freedoms and unlimited AK-47s would bring to our troubled country? Viva el Nacional Rifle Asociación!

Saying guns are illegal in Mexico is not the same thing as saying there is no access to guns.

From a 2017 LA Times Article:
Although Mexico has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, Mexican criminal organizations have no trouble buying firearms, which they use to control territory, extort business owners, and threaten citizens as well as members of the security forces. The consequences are lethal. In 2002, there were more than 2,600 murder investigations involving firearms. By 2016, that number had increased to nearly 13,000.

To stock their arsenals, Mexican criminal organizations exploit lax U.S. gun laws, relying in part on straw purchases.

Most of the weapons used by criminal groups in Mexico originate in the United States. Each year, an average of 253,000 firearms cross the border, the overwhelming majority of which come from the Southwest states of California, Texas and Arizona. From 2009 to 2014, more than 70% of firearms — nearly 74,000 — seized by Mexican authorities and then submitted for tracing by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms came from the United States. Many of these guns were semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, cartel favorites that Mexican citizens cannot buy legally.

To stock their arsenals, Mexican criminal organizations exploit lax U.S. gun laws, relying in part on straw purchases.

A "straw purchase" is when a person who is prohibited by federal law from buying firearms contracts a third party to buy them on their behalf. Because there is no limit on firearm transactions in many states, anyone who can pass a background check may buy multiple military-grade firearms in a single visit — which they can then pass along to criminals.

Sometimes firearms traffickers do not even have to lie to purchase a weapon. Although licensed U.S. firearms dealers must conduct background checks and maintain records, among other measures, unlicensed dealers at gun shows, flea markets and other private venues may sell guns without conducting a background check, inspecting a buyer's identification or documenting the sale in any way.

The business of violence can be highly profitable, and the American gun industry is cashing in, with U.S. sellers and manufacturers arming both sides of Mexico's conflict. Research from the University of San Diego has shown that half of U.S. gun dealers benefit financially from the U.S.-Mexico illegal gun trade, to the tune of $127.2 million in 2012.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Good article
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I don't really understand the point of Ajax's OP.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Although Mexico has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, Mexican criminal organizations have no trouble buying firearms,

In what way have Mexico's strict gun laws helped keep guns out of the hands of criminals? Are you really better off as a law biding person in a country like Mexico relying on the police for protection and not having 2nd amendment rights that we enjoy here?

I never had a problem during my two years in Colombia which was similar other than being rather restricted in where I could and could not go. But I had nothing for them to take at that time either. Were I to go there and buy a ranch now, I think things would be different and I'd probably get taken hostage rather quickly given I have no means to protect myself and the cartels know it.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I don't really understand the point of Ajax's OP.

- Doc

I'm going with "The 2nd amendment is really the only amendment that needs protecting. Look at Mexico, they have no 2nd amendment and they are a ****hole country that I would dare step foot in. If we prohibit gun ownership in anyway we will ipso facto turn into a ****hole too."

That is as close as I can get, anyways.

ETA: My bad, didn't see Ajax's next post. I was pretty close anyways.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens