DT: Cryonics or Cremation?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: DoubtingThomas: Cryonics or Cremation?

Post by _Lemmie »

honorentheos wrote:Hi Lemmie -

Again, these are all fair points. I apologize that my comments then took a personal tone when they should not have.

No apology necessary.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

honorentheos wrote:There is a "tragedy of the commons" trap in this that seems almost unavoidable.

It seems so in a world of competing groups of humans competing for power influence and resources. If we don't do it someone else will and they will have the advantage. One problem is that some groups would use a big advantage in AI to take over control of other groups. The world was fortunate the first group to create Nuclear weapons was an open democratic society. I seriously doubt the Nazi's or the USSR would have not used it to take over the world.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Okay let's get back to the artificial intelligence discussion, I find it very interesting. Let's talk about the possibilities.

I admit I am excited about AI and it's possibilities. Most see that it has an awful lot of positives, but there are some negatives we shouldn't ignore, or the possibility we could lose control of AI.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Themis wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:Okay let's get back to the artificial intelligence discussion, I find it very interesting. Let's talk about the possibilities.

I admit I am excited about AI and it's possibilities. Most see that it has an awful lot of positives, but there are some negatives we shouldn't ignore, or the possibility we could lose control of AI.

I think you need to parse out the notion of "weaponized AI" from the general notion of AI because otherwise your prophecies are a bit muddy with pop-scifi.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:I think you need to parse out the notion of "weaponized AI" from the general notion of AI because otherwise your prophecies are a bit muddy with pop-scifi.

My post didn't say anything about weaponized AI or prophesy anything. It would be nice if you could actually say something of value for once.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Themis wrote: I admit I am excited about AI and it's possibilities. Most see that it has an awful lot of positives, but there are some negatives we shouldn't ignore, or the possibility we could lose control of AI.

On May 14 there is going to be an Intelligence Squared debate on automation and AI. I do support automation, but I have to listen with an open mind.

https://www.intelligencesquaredus.org/d ... -democracy
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

DoubtingThomas wrote:On May 14 there is going to be an Intelligence Squared debate on automation and AI. I do support automation, but I have to listen with an open mind.

I love automation and see that our modern lifestyles are very dependent on it. I also realize we may have to look at doing things differently when most people may not have a job. Income inequality is a huge problem and could be a big factor in undermining democracy. The rich have needed people working for them because human labor was needed to produce all the nice things we have. What happens when most people don't work or have any money. Will the rich be interested in helping them out when they wont have money to buy anything the rich produce, or will they start to think they would be better off without them?