LA Mayor Garcetti Floats Homeless Plan

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

LA Mayor Garcetti Floats Homeless Plan

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Further proof national powers monitor this board for progressive dialogue and problem solving:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... melessness

Calling homelessness "the greatest moral and humanitarian crisis of our time," Garcetti used his State of the City address Monday to detail a renewed effort backed by $430 million from the mayoral budget.

This will be a sort of bellwether issue for Democrats as we retake the House, Senate, and Presidency moving forward. We really need to tackle some fundamental issues around housing, income disparity, and the stratification of American socioeconomics.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: LA Mayor Garcetti Floats Homeless Plan

Post by _Markk »

The effort laid out by Garcetti today builds on city and county voter-approved initiatives to get more people into housing. One, passed in 2016, allocates $1.2 billion in bond money to house 10,000 chronically homeless people over the next decade. An emergency-shelter crisis declaration, passed by the city council last week, intends to fast-track the building of shelters. Garcetti also used his speech to urge sending $1.5 billion from the state budget to cities tackling homelessness. That would help the municipalities of Los Angeles County get almost $646 million dollars this year, he said.

That's a lot of money that we really don't have to get 1/5th of the homeless folks off the streets.

1000 people off the street a year, for ten years...when homelessness has grown by 3k or 4k a year over recent years?

What comes into mind is the word "projects." It seems we do not learn from the past, or we just do not have better options...probably both.

https://unitedgangs.com/2017/01/16/the- ... s-angeles/
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

As for the Republicans -- how can one regard seriously a frightened, greedy, nostalgic huddle of tradesmen and lucky idlers who shut their eyes to history and science, steel their emotions against decent human sympathy, cling to sordid and provincial ideals exalting sheer acquisitiveness and condoning artificial hardship for the non-materially-shrewd, dwell smugly and sentimentally in a distorted dream-cosmos of outmoded phrases and principles and attitudes based on the bygone agricultural-handicraft world, and revel in mendacious assumptions (such as the notion that real liberty is synonymous with the single detail of unrestricted economic license or that a rational planning of resource-distribution would contravene some vague and mystical 'American heritage'...) utterly contrary to fact and without the slightest foundation in human experience?

What's sad is the very people that would need to read that quote above wouldn't. Even if they attempted to read it their eyes would glaze over by the time they lazily scanned the third line.

We need to adapt to a populated, socially very different world in which we find ourselves instead of pining for a time past reminisced as mythos and wonder. It never existed.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

This will be a sort of bellwether issue for Democrats as we retake the House, Senate, and Presidency moving forward. We really need to tackle some fundamental issues around housing, income disparity, and the stratification of American socioeconomics.

Open borders, high taxes, crummy roads, and a Democratic supermajority. Roll big welfare.

It amazes me that people still stay in Chicago, Illinois given their property and state income taxes. A fellow OD pointed out on Facebook that the city will no longer provide school bus services for her kids. She'll have to hire Uber out of pocket. I asked how much she paid last year in property and income taxes. I wonder if she realizes how much of her money goes to fat public employee pensions and of course Jesse Jackson Jr.'s $8500/month in congressional disability.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:We really need to tackle some fundamental issues around housing, income disparity, and the stratification of American socioeconomics.

- Doc

I agree with your premise but you realize that this buffoon of a mayor is simply re-branding "The Projects" as "transitional Housing"?

from your citation, He says :

"“We are fighting to make sure that our children don’t have to ask: ‘Why is that woman sleeping on a bench? Doesn’t she have someone to take care of her?’"

Literally promoting an "out of sight out of mind" approach to making the streets more palatable for children so that they do not put their parents in uncomfortable conversations. So, a $430M money grab by the Dems? yeah, probably because "shelter" is not the problem and another project certainly is not the answer.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

"“We are fighting to make sure that our children don’t have to ask: ‘Why is that woman sleeping on a bench? Doesn’t she have someone to take care of her?’"

How much welfare money do you think it would cost to completely eradicate homelessness in Los Angeles? I tend to think the more you pay out in welfare, the more people you will have move to Los Angeles to take advantage of it.

Kinda of like when Hannity interviewed Jason Greenslate, "If I could get you a job paying $100K/year to drive a truck in North Dakota would you take it?" No, dude the homeless surfer responded.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

ajax18 wrote: I wonder if she realizes how much of her money goes to fat public employee pensions and of course Jesse Jackson Jr.'s $8500/month in congressional disability.

Holy crap, I thought you were making something up.

Jackson, 51, receives about $138,400 a year — more than he made as a freshman congressman in 1995. Most of that — about $100,000 — is workers' compensation and tax-free, according to Chicago attorney Barry Schatz, who is representing Jackson in his divorce proceeding.

The rest of Jackson's benefits are Social Security Disability Insurance payments, some of which may be taxable, Schatz said.

The payments flow to Jackson because he has bipolar disorder and depression — the issues that led to an extended leave from Congress in 2012 — and those conditions have been exacerbated by a "very difficult, contentious divorce" from former Chicago Ald. Sandi Jackson, Schatz said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Holy crap, I thought you were making something up.

Breitbart reported on it a couple years ago. I posted the thread and Analytics posted a link to Snopes. Snopes refuted it and said it was possible but couldn't be proven. But it looks like this is exactly what ended up happening according to your quote.