Calling All Kolobians !!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: Calling All Kolobians !!!

Post by _AmyJo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:AmyJo,

You'll probably enjoy this Fermi Paradox video if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNhhvQGsMEc

eta: TL;DR - If Elohims and Elohers are for all intents and purposes Type III Civilization gods and goddesses then evidence for their civilization would be all over the place. Planets would be talking to one another, ships would be zipping about, dyson vacuums spheres would be abundant, so on and so forth.

There's nothing. At all. Mormonism's own Plan of Salvation disproves the existence of their own god.

- Doc

That is a good video. It has more questions than answers. But that is the ultimate paradox of which we do not know.

As for life elsewhere, the odds are favorable given the sheer number of existing planets in the cosmos it exists.

As for whether god is real, that takes faith to bridge the chasm between what is known and the unknown. I believe not solely on faith alone, but because I've had some answers to prayers that can only be explained by divine intercession. For me, God is more real than mere faith. But I still need faith to see me through this life with all its challenges. And for my family.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

AmyJo wrote:My grandfather liked "If you could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye," so much he had it sung at his funeral.

That's my plan for my own funeral!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

Kishkumen wrote:
AmyJo wrote:My grandfather liked "If you could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye," so much he had it sung at his funeral.

My grandpa was dearly loved. I was like only 14 when he died. When our family went to his funeral in a little country Mormon town in Idaho, the ward house was overflowing with relatives and people who remembered him. It was the first time I saw my dad cry, when he bent over grandpa's coffin to say his goodbye.

When I die, if I'm so fortunate to have my funeral planned in advance, I would like this song played for part of the service: It's called "Crossing the Bar," lyrics by Lord Alfred Tennyson. The musical arrangement is more recent, and so very beautiful. I heard it sung by a choir at the Chautauqua Institute one summer in an open ampitheater, with the lake nearby and a cool breeze blowing. It was heavenly. This rendition captures that mostly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdLYCk83UM
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:

I'm requesting that my funeral theme song be Another One Bites the Dust.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

So, who's got the more obviously made up words, the LDS or the Scientologists? Which is worse, Kolob or Xenu?

I think it's interesting that both Hubbard and Joseph Smith wrote their books originally to be taken seriously, and when that failed, they turned it into a religion.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

It's important to remember that when we look at light from a star that's 100,000 light-years away, we are looking at events that happened one hundred thousand years ago. How long does a civilization have to last before it can develop the technology to send signals to other civilization, wait hundreds of thousands of years for the signal to arrive at another suitably advanced civilization, and then wait hundreds of thousands of years for a response?

So it's conceivable that there are thousands of civilizations, but their existence with respect to earth is still limited by time and distance.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

Yes. What do you want?
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

MeDotOrg wrote:It's important to remember that when we look at light from a star that's 100,000 light-years away, we are looking at events that happened one hundred thousand years ago. How long does a civilization have to last before it can develop the technology to send signals to other civilization, wait hundreds of thousands of years for the signal to arrive at another suitably advanced civilization, and then wait hundreds of thousands of years for a response?

So it's conceivable that there are thousands of civilizations, but their existence with respect to earth is still limited by time and distance.

Interesting notion, but rather limited considering this context since the notion assumes "other" civilizations would develop at the same pace as ours and that their technology would suffer the same limitations as ours.
1000 years to our civilization could be an afternoon to another's.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Some Schmo wrote:Which is worse, Kolob or Xenu?

Xenu. There are no reports of anyone from the Kolobian Star System making the people of Earth stand around volcanos and then using hydrogen bombs to destroy them. The Kolobians would be sorely wrought if anyone were to worship Xenu.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace