Paul Ryan might be not running for reelection

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Paul Ryan might be not running for reelection

Post by _moksha »

subgenius wrote:I would not underestimate the voters' growing desire for "change" :wink:

Sounds like Paul Ryan is reading this desire loud and clear. It certainly is not his duty to stay with HMS Titanic after colliding with that iceberg. #fake iceberg #make America float again
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:Yes, because to a larger extent, historical data does not apply well to our current political paradigm. Just ask the incumbent in Alabama....and reference most every mid-term election in recent history.

Incumbents do better even when the whitehouse incumbent party does worse. That is to say, you're much better off being a Republican incumbent than you are being a Republican non-incumbent in even in an environment that does not favor Republicans. That's why each Republican retirement inches the odds of a Democratic takeover a little more. Each retirement represents a loss of incumbency advantage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/upsh ... house.html

I think you are overestimating Ryan's leadership -

He's the speaker of the House. Leader of the Congressional Republicans is now a job someone else now will get. This isn't complicated.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

EAllusion wrote:It's semi-official now.

It's all over the news, but Paul Ryan is a nobody to me. I could care less if he runs for re-election or not.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

moksha wrote:
subgenius wrote:I would not underestimate the voters' growing desire for "change" :wink:

Sounds like Paul Ryan is reading this desire loud and clear. It certainly is not his duty to stay with HMS Titanic after colliding with that iceberg. #fake iceberg #make America float again

#scootoverRose
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent