McMaster out, Bolton in

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

McMaster out, Bolton in

Post by _MeDotOrg »

From the New York Times:

WASHINGTON — Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, the battle-tested Army officer tapped as President Trump’s national security adviser last year to stabilize a turbulent foreign policy operation, will resign and be replaced by John R. Bolton, a hard-line former United States ambassador to the United Nations, White House officials said Thursday.

General McMaster will retire from the military, the officials said. He has been discussing his departure with President Trump for several weeks, they said, but decided to speed up his departure, in part because questions about his status were casting a shadow over his conversations with foreign officials.

The officials also said that Mr. Trump wanted to fill out his national security team before his meeting with North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un. He replaced Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson with the C.I.A. director, Mike Pompeo, last week.

So far this week we've seen Tillerson out, Pompeo in, Dowd out and diGenova in, and now McMaster out and Bolton in. It appears that the circle of advisors around Trump is getting smaller, meaner and shriller.

Well, you know the old saying...
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: McMaster out, Bolton in

Post by _EAllusion »

This is the most troubling development since Flynn got NSA. Bolton is wrong 100% of the time, and always in the direction of increased belligerence. He's credibly accused of being key figure in manipulating US intelligence to persuade the public into the Iraq war. He's been openly advocating for preemptive war with N. Korea, even if it means nuclear war, and Iran at the same time. He's also an intense Islamophobe and conspiracy theorist.

His mere existence is representative of a flaw in the system.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

:eek:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

EAllusion wrote:This is the most troubling development since Flynn got NSA. Bolton is wrong 100% of the time, and always in the direction of increased belligerence. He's credibly accused of being key figure in manipulating US intelligence to persuade the public into the Iraq war. He's been openly advocating for preemptive war with N. Korea, even if it means nuclear war, and Iran at the same time. He's also an intense Islamophobe and conspiracy theorist.

But he's another long time darling of FOX News, which is the only reason he's there.

I'm just waiting for Dick Morris to be hired on to complete the picture.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

EAllusion wrote:This is the most troubling development since Flynn got NSA. Bolton is wrong 100% of the time, and always in the direction of increased belligerence. He's credibly accused of being key figure in manipulating US intelligence to persuade the public into the Iraq war. He's been openly advocating for preemptive war with N. Korea, even if it means nuclear war, and Iran at the same time. He's also an intense Islamophobe and conspiracy theorist.

Remember when there were people that said a Trump presidency wouldn't be that bad because:

• Once he is in office he will be more presidential
  • He would only "surround himself with the best and most serious people"
  • How much damage can he actually do, anyways?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Xenophon wrote:Remember when there were people that said a Trump presidency wouldn't be that bad because:

apart from the hair-fire, it hasn't been bad at all. Economy is decent, security is decent, and life is chugging along. Are you suggesting that America is currently "that bad"?

Or are we just filtering through the loss one copes with when leaving a cult of Presidency?

Xenophon wrote:
  • Once he is in office he will be more presidential

Presidential? hmmm...yeah, he has done that..especially inasmuch as "presidential" is defined....or did your post intend that it means hide your cigarette addiction; only get a dog because white people want you to; pander to your donors; get on late night tv; spend 8 years with your most significant and lasting accomplishment being the banning of incandescent light bulbs?...that last one is actually admirable.

Xenophon wrote:
  • He would only "surround himself with the best and most serious people"

Which he has...the Democrats in Minnesota are the ones who elected the comedian...the pervert comedian.

Xenophon wrote:
  • How much damage can he actually do, anyways?

So far...no damage.

Xenophon wrote:Pepperidge Farms remembers.

remembers what?...obscure, commercial, pop, and tangential references?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

He would only "surround himself with the best and most serious people"

Which he has...

Buggenius looking for the hole to crawl into...
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

You don't bring Bolton board if you're not planning to go to war. This guy is all about the philosophy that it's better to wage war now to avoid a bigger war later. I think we're going to get aggressive toward China with regard to their artificial islands, territorial rights, and South Pacific hegemony. NK would be a disaster for everyone if we decided to break the armistice.

Hope I'm wrong!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:NK would be a disaster for everyone if we decided to break the armistice.

how so? are you implying that about NK reviving the proxy war?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

subgenius wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:North Korea would be a disaster for everyone if we decided to break the armistice.

how so? are you implying that about North Korea reviving the proxy war?

Subgenius
with all your visions of people with their hair on fire, you perhaps should use less sativa in your bowl of nighttime pot.