Is facbook selling our data?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Is facbook selling our data?

Post by _aussieguy55 »

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/m ... ata-breach

Maybe they check Mormondiscussions. Watch out you.....
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Is facbook selling our data?

Post by _subgenius »

um, basically everyone knows that if you are using an app/program that is not for sale then it is the user that is for sale.

This ain't groundbreaking, like commercial tv.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

"“The company has repeatedly touted its ability to influence voters through ‘psychographic’ targeting and has claimed it was the fundamental reason that Donald Trump won the 2016 election. Indeed, it may be that through Cambridge Analytica, the Trump campaign made use of illegitimately acquired data on millions of Americans in order to help sway the election.”
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

aussieguy55 wrote:"“The company has repeatedly touted its ability to influence voters through ‘psychographic’ targeting and has claimed it was the fundamental reason that Donald Trump won the 2016 election. Indeed, it may be that through Cambridge Analytica, the Trump campaign made use of illegitimately acquired data on millions of Americans in order to help sway the election.”

sounds like a sales pitch
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I dunno about selling our data, but with all the posts about facbook and the homless, somebody seems to be stealing the letter 'e'.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The part about the company's history with Steve Bannon and how you had to destroy a society to rebuild it was fascinating. Sounds like Cambridge Analytica adapted this Bannon philosophy in creating a terrible misuse of personal data.

It makes me wonder whether the World of Tanks Facebook friends of LDSfaqs have been inundated with unusual Youtube feeds.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Paracelsus
_Emeritus

Post by _Paracelsus »

MeDotOrg wrote:I dunno about selling our data, but with all the posts about facbook and the homless, somebody seems to be stealing the letter 'e'.

Nothing to see here; goyourway...

- flu means influenza
- conservatism means conservativism
- 4u means for you

The Basic English with its 850-word list was outdated by another (khm khm) English.

I promote using the word primitism instead of primitivism...
I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Should I honour you? Why?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : Prometheus