Doc, Homless in LA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Doc, Homless in LA

Post by _EAllusion »

Markk wrote:

If you do not believe the current opioid epidemic is the huge issue and factor in homelessness, or is the epidemic a myth also, then there is nothing I can say that will change your mind other than simple state something else you can take the other side on.

It is the same with your institution vs streets thing...you just change your story when evidence and common sense is provided. And them lie about what you said.
Like going from wandering the streets to living in tents; I was going to respond to your last goal post move on the subject but felt it was fruitless...maybe I will tonight if I have the energy.

Doc is correct in that if someone like you got in power we would be in deep yogurt.

What would change my mind is actual evidence Markk. I'm sure the opioid epidemic is affecting homelessness rates. It doesn't follow from this it is the cause in a 23% year over year spike just recently. It follows even less that that there was a huge spike in those exiting the foster care system and this caused a 23% jump in the rate. We're looking for an explanation of varience. If you have evidence of the causes you attribute it to other than your idle supposition, provide it.

Community based care in a conventional residential setting is not an institution. If you don't care for conventional understanding of what those terms mean, or what professional experts are telling you, note that this is also the legal standard set by the federal government. In fact, a few years back the federal government issued regulations requiring further deinstitutinalization to home and community based services. If that's the same thing as an institution, how is that even possible?

Here is the federal government's description of HCBS:

https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/hcbs/ ... index.html

Note the deliberate contrast with institutional environments. Of couse, there are ongoing questions over how much institutional-like traits legally or ethically ought to be allowed in such environments, but you skip right over that nuance in favor of abject ignorance.

Sure Markk. I (and the whole world) am just lying to you. You know what's up.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

EAllusion wrote:
Markk wrote:

If you do not believe the current opioid epidemic is the huge issue and factor in homelessness, or is the epidemic a myth also, then there is nothing I can say that will change your mind other than simple state something else you can take the other side on.

It is the same with your institution vs streets thing...you just change your story when evidence and common sense is provided. And them lie about what you said.
Like going from wandering the streets to living in tents; I was going to respond to your last goal post move on the subject but felt it was fruitless...maybe I will tonight if I have the energy.

Doc is correct in that if someone like you got in power we would be in deep yogurt.

What would change my mind is actual evidence Markk. I'm sure the opioid epidemic is affecting homelessness rates. It doesn't follow from this it is the cause in a 23% year over year spike just recently. It follows even less that that there was a huge spike in those exiting the foster care system and this caused a 23% jump in the rate. We're looking for an explanation of varience. If you have evidence of the causes you attribute it to other than your idle supposition, provide it.

Community based care in a conventional residential setting is not an institution. If you don't care for conventional understanding of what those terms mean, or what professional experts are telling you, note that this is also the legal standard set by the federal government. In fact, a few years back the federal government issued regulations requiring further deinstitutinalization to home and community based services. If that's the same thing as an institution, how is that even possible?

Here is the federal government's description of HCBS:

https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/hcbs/ ... index.html

Note the deliberate contrast with institutional environments. Of couse, there are ongoing questions over how much institutional-like traits legally or ethically ought to be allowed in such environments, but you skip right over that nuance in favor of abject ignorance.

Sure Markk. I (and the whole world) am just lying to you. You know what's up.

Provide evidence that it is {all} high rent...I also gave you other reasons...like the release of thousands of prisoners onto the streets.

What percentage of the 23% can be specifically attributed to high rent, and give me the data that backs that up.

The whole world is not lying, but you have. You just change the premise of your arguments and not answer specific questions...like "how are you going to treat people wandering the streets, daily,...how will you find them? How can you be consistent with them?

I stated a institution might be better...becasue you can treat them...you stated they would be better of "wandering" the streets, than being in an institution...which is a fair opinion, but answer mine about how you will find and treat these people "wandering" the streets. You also changed your statement to tent cities...which could make it easier to find and treat them...but again how will you manage these folks on the streets...please be be specific...how are you going to manage a persons medication and make sure they take it properly, and help them manage their illness daily...if you can't find them and check up on them, as you could in a controlled environment.

Are you going to just drive around and look for them? To put it in construction terms, what is the "means and methods" of day to day care for those wandering the streets?

It is really a simple question that you have been ducking, and for obvious reasons...you can not in any practical way do so, and you are just to proud to admit you did not think it out.

{edit}
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Gadianton wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Markk -

I think you keep missing Gadianton's point. A 23% spike requires a causal explanation for why that number of people became homeless when they weren't before. The city as a whole didn't grow that fast. Your own links strongly suggest the main driver in the recent change is changes in housing prices. You contend that it is something else. In your defense, I'd say that while 23% sounds like a lot, in absolute numbers, it's only about 10k people in a city of millions. It is possible that a worsening drug epidemic, etc. could cause cause a spike on that order. But you do nothing to establish it.

I sincerely doubt there was that much of a change in the number of people exiting the foster care system to produce the change.

Of course you very easily understand the point. I held off responding to you but I see now that for whatever reasons, Markk will not be following this point any time soon. In his latest post he asserts again, as if I don't get it, "I'm pointing out that it's lot's of factors, not just rent!". I realize there are lots of factors, and that a large number of people in our society are one or two paychecks away from being homeless. I also realize that once homeless, getting a job without an address and getting new accommodations without references or stable income is extremely difficult. However, it's also true that many folks on this lowest rung are only "stable" insofar as they have exactly the housing that they currently have, and if they had to go out and find a new place, even while currently being housed, it would be difficult. What Mark seems especially resistant to accepting is that many on this lowest rung are irresponsible, using drugs, but yet still able to manage paying the rent for their current housing. Their situation is volatile and a change from virtually any facet of their life will put them on the street. Well, suddenly, 23% more of these volatile situations explode. Why? Why in 2016 and not in 2015 or 2014? THAT is the first question we are trying to answer, one that Markk seems especially determined to avoid.

I even tried to draw an analogy between housing supply and the supply of something simple like a fan, and he ignored everything I said and turned it around, "Hey do you have any idea what homeless people are like when it's hot! you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Let's return to the heat wave in SoCal back in 2006. There were many factors that explained why my family suffered that week and I nearly had a medical crisis on my hands. One might argue that the biggest problem was that I was personally unprepared. It's a bad habit of mine. I owned a single small fan, and even prior to the heat wave, I'd been nagged at to get more fans and I'd put it off. Well, the really bad day came and there was not a single fan I could get within hundreds of miles-- not even online for next day delivery.

What then, is the most direct factor that caused my problem? I apparently wasn't alone in my psychological inability to be prepared. No doubt, thousands of others also faced empty shelves. Is our first priority, then, to get life counseling for myself and all these thousands of others to be more prepared in life such that we already have our fans and don't need to raid the shelves at the last minute when the next heat wave comes? Or is it to re-stock the shelves?

The answer is to restock the shelves first, and then work on being more prepared, which is a far more difficult and long term problem to solve. It's fascinating that Markk, who has this huge vested interest in getting the homeless out from his face, is so dead set on painting the problem as one that's impossible to fix. If I were Markk, I'd first explore the low-hanging fruit. I'd say, "hey, this article that I blindly believe is accurate in reporting 28% increase in homelessness also says that the main contribution to the crisis (the INCREASE from previous years, when people were also lazy and drug addicts etc) is rent hikes, and I should at least give that the benefit of the doubt, because if this is correct, then that means the quickest path to getting the homeless out from my face is to return them to their situation from 2015."

Yes, it's understood that it's tough to undo what's been done. Had a family member gone to the hospital prior to me procuring more fans, the fans would be a hollow victory. Getting people into stable housing after losing their housing isn't trivial, but it's less non-trivial than fixing their life problems that put them at risk in the first place -- it's by far, the quickest path to getting them out of Markk's face so he doesn't have to see them. Instead of first at least entertaining what his own articles said about the planned solution, he's demanding a war on drugs and so on, and it's really hard to believe he isn't just venting, rather than really being serious.

And there is some serious irony in a major blindspot he has. His profession is to fix up crappy areas of town. He complains that he found some hideaway with 14k needles and all kinds of other horrible things. He had to personally clean all that out. Somehow, he doesn't put it together that here was a crappy place, a dark spot in the city-scape where perhaps a dozen or so homeless people were doing their dark deeds out from his view. Now that he has cleaned all that out, there is one less dark corner for them to do their thing in, so where do they go?

The homeless are all up in Markk's face in part because that's where he himself is literally putting them.

I'm not saying that Markk should change his profession or not cleanup the town. But let's be reasonable here, and entertain the point the LA Times article made in the article Markk himself cited. If people lose their dark corners they'll continue to do what they'd been doing in the light.

Well, suddenly, 23% more of these volatile situations explode. Why? Why in 2016 and not in 2015 or 2014? THAT is the first question we are trying to answer, one that Markk seems especially determined to avoid. .

Glad...It is up 75% in the last six years...I guess you missed the many times I have posted that? The money and homes they plan to build, are not really rental properties, but welfare homes. Basically voucher homes.

Of the Homeless here, how many do you think could actually hold a job and budget their income? Just a guess...I certainly don't know...but I would guess 80% or more could not. Whats your guess?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Given the estimate that around half of the current homeless in LA are "economically homeless," I'd say it's at least 50%, probably higher. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editoria ... tory.html#
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Markk wrote:

Provide evidence that it is {all} high rent...I also gave you other reasons...like the release of thousands of prisoners onto the streets.

I'm asking you to provide evidence of your position. I have taken no position on the explanation for what caused the rapid rise in homeless as a % of the overall homeless population in 2016 in LA. I did point out that the source you cited attributed primarily to changes in the affordability of housing, which you appear to have rejected out of hand. I expressed skepticism that a bump in the rate of people leaving the foster care system is the best explanation, but also said I was open to evidence showing this to be the case.

Now that I've asked you for evidence to support your assertions, all you do is tell me to prove a contrary position that I have not argued.

What percentage of the 23% can be specifically attributed to high rent, and give me the data that backs that up.

If only you would hold yourself to the standards you hold others to.

The whole world is not lying, but you have. You just change the premise of your arguments and not answer specific questions.

You're just not following what I've been saying since the start Markk and have some basic confusion about terms.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

EAllusion wrote:
Markk wrote:

I'm asking you to provide evidence of your position. I have taken no position on the explanation for what caused the rapid rise in homeless as a % of the overall homeless population in 2016 in LA. I did point out that the source you cited attributed primarily to changes in the affordability of housing, which you appear to have rejected out of hand. I expressed skepticism that a bump in the rate of people leaving the foster care system is the best explanation, but also said I was open to evidence showing this to be the case.

Now that I've asked you for evidence to support your assertions, all you do is tell me to prove a contrary position that I have not argued.

If only you would hold yourself to the standards you hold others to.

The whole world is not lying, but you have. You just change the premise of your arguments and not answer specific questions.

You're just not following what I've been saying since the start Markk and have some basic confusion about terms.

You have taken no position? What a tool.

I gave just as much proof. I noted the drug crisis, tens thousands of prisoners being set loose in the last 6 years or so, and other variables including rent.

Give me the proof that it is 23% because of rent...or ask Glad the same questions you do me?

Is it 'evidence' that homelessness has risen some 75% during the same time that CA was ordered to release tens of thousand of prisoners...and the link I provide that cited 40 some odd percent of paroles become homeless?

Does the heroin crisis factor in.

Here read this you can find article and article on this.
https://www.michaelshouse.com/drug-abus ... addiction/
Also, what link that I pasted are you using as a benchmark...I have pasted many links, I need some help...what article are you referring to.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Glad...It is up 75% in the last six years...I guess you missed the many times I have posted that? The money and homes they plan to build, are not really rental properties, but welfare homes. Basically voucher homes.

Mark,

I was keeping things simple by referring to a single year. No, I did not miss the reference to 75% in six years, and bringing that up as an answer to my post is ridiculous. I'm getting used to your responses being totally irrelevant to what I write, which is why I posted this one to EA and not you.

Again, if you want something for your case, show a study that the 23% or the 75% have something significant to do with increased drug use, or increased prison releases, or increased aging out fosters. All the articles I'm finding are about one thing -- rising housing costs due to developers.

Markk wrote:Of the Homeless here, how many do you think could actually hold a job and budget their income? Just a guess...I certainly don't know...but I would guess 80% or more could not. Whats your guess?

The question is irrelevant, at least until we know more about what their living situation was before they became homeless. The point for you to ponder is: the 23% increase from last year (or the 75% increase from 6 years, take your pick as it's really quite irrelevant), had homes up until recently -- what changed? if you believe the 75% were in prison before, then show the study that shows the dramatic rates of increased prisoner releases that accounts for the increased homeless figure. if you believe the 75% were under 18 and fosters, show the study that shows the dramatic increase in foster age-outs.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Gadianton wrote:And there is some serious irony in a major blindspot he has. His profession is to fix up crappy areas of town. He complains that he found some hideaway with 14k needles and all kinds of other horrible things. He had to personally clean all that out. Somehow, he doesn't put it together that here was a crappy place, a dark spot in the city-scape where perhaps a dozen or so homeless people were doing their dark deeds out from his view. Now that he has cleaned all that out, there is one less dark corner for them to do their thing in, so where do they go?

Where did I say or do any of that? You are so full of crap on this one Glad. At least read what I write.

The "hideaway" which you claim I found was actually an encampment along the 57 freeway, which tens of thousand of people drive by each day, and is discussed on about every AM talk show here for the past year...the needles were in the news after the city gave out over 700 motel vouchers for a month to many of the homeless before the city cleaned it out and ran the homeless off. But I guess you did not read those links.

And just how is my profession to clean up crappy areas of town? You mean crappy places like.. The San Diego Mission? How about Warner Springs Ranch (where the Mormon Battalion camped). How about Irvine Ranch in Irvine, or The University House in La Jolla, which is next door to

this home

Just so you know, I manage the field operations (the actual construction) where the company I work for restores Historic Places on the Historical Register. I am just finishing up a home where Herman J. Mankiewicz wrote Citizen Kane with Orson Welles at Culver Studios...Amazon is taking over the building.

The little dark places are the ones I reached out to for years in San Bernardino feeding these folks.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Gadianton wrote:Mark,

I was keeping things simple by referring to a single year. No, I did not miss the reference to 75% in six years, and bringing that up as an answer to my post is ridiculous. I'm getting used to your responses being totally irrelevant to what I write, which is why I posted this one to EAllusion and not you.

Again, if you want something for your case, show a study that the 23% or the 75% have something significant to do with increased drug use, or increased prison releases, or increased aging out fosters. All the articles I'm finding are about one thing -- rising housing costs due to developers.

I did, both the current opioid epidemic and the released prisoners coincide with the increased homelessness...you just ignored that part.

Keeping it simple...you asked what about the other years..."common man!"
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Markk wrote:I did, both the current opioid epidemic and the released prisoners coincide with the increased homelessness. . . you just ignored that part.

Oh that's not all you've said Markk, but like everything else you've said, you haven't actually provided a reference that argues these factors account for the increased homelessness.

Markk wrote:Where did I say or do any of that?

LOL. Mark, the details of what you do don't really matter that much. I would just think that in the general industry you participate in, you should easily see the point that whether they be the officially homeless or downright poor, when they are evicted from their crappy apartments or from behind a dumpster, they have to go somewhere else, right? With the heavy investments in LA developments and soaring rent, those somewhere elses are disappearing, and so where they end up is in your face.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.