Another California Class Act

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Another California Class Act

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have a difficult time getting worked up about this when ex-convicts are routinely and legally treated like second-class citizens all over the country. In some states, such as Florida, they even lose their constitutional right to vote virtually permanently. So, watch me weep crocodile tears for the cop who was refused a cup of coffee in an rough urban neighborhood.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Kishkumen wrote:In some states, such as Florida, they even lose their constitutional right to vote virtually permanently.

FYI, felons don't have a "constitutional right to vote."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_v._Ramirez
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

cinepro wrote:FYI, felons don't have a "constitutional right to vote."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_v._Ramirez

FYI, I am familiar with that case, and I don't have to agree with it.

Just as I don't have to agree with Citizens United.

But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Yeah, that's pretty clearly worded. No question what it means. Nothing to argue about there. Just FYI Richardson v. Ramirez and the matter is settled for good. That must be why we Floridians are voting on this issue in November.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think every American should have the right to vote, even the ones we hate the most.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Indeed. Be they police or ex-cons.

One important element of the playbook of the game of power is to get your enemy to fight internally so he doesn't have the energy to fight you.

This is exactly what these police games are about.

As an institution, a police force is primarily designed to oppress the people so that the elite can feel comfortable.

So, police are enlisted from among the people and set with the task of exerting pressure on their peers. Their peers resent it, push back, and cause the ramping up of pressure until overwhelming state force is brought to bear on the people.

Expect to be oppressed by the powerful. Expect justice to be tardy, if it ever arrives.

The extent to which you think you have rights is a privilege you enjoy.