We need more women in Physical Science, Engineering, Compute

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: We need more women in Physical Science, Engineering, Com

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Paracelsus wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:... to pursue useless degrees like (snip) Psychology
- Doc

I was always propagator of real sciences against so called humanities (see The Two Cultures by C. P. Snow... )
But during reading this site - especially most of the members; sometimes some moderators hmmm -, I am certain that psychology has raison d'être !
:cool:

What about those two Wikipedia articles do you want me to note or to understand?

I do have to admit that I have a bias against those who get advanced degrees in soft sciences and the Humanities. I'm not sure why other than I'm suspicious, on some level, that most of them are simply not good thinkers and couldn't get a degree in a hard science or in a discipline society actually needs. Of course, there are exceptions, but they're probably few and far between.

by the way, an ex-wife of mine is a theoretical physicist now. She was far, far, far smarter than I could ever hope to be and I wish her the best, because, if that wish comes true, we'll have a Grand Unified Theory in 20 years.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I do have to admit that I have a bias against those who get advanced degrees in soft sciences and the Humanities. I'm not sure why other than I'm suspicious, on some level, that most of them are simply not good thinkers and couldn't get a degree in a hard science or in a discipline society actually needs. Of course, there are exceptions, but they're probably few and far between.

by the way, an ex-wife of mine is a theoretical physicist now. She was far, far, far smarter than I could ever hope to be and I wish her the best, because, if that wish comes true, we'll have a Grand Unified Theory in 20 years.

- Doc

I don't know. It seems like someone here sure could use a person with a degree in at least one soft science.

But to be clear, you think both that women have low participation rates in hard sciences, math, and engineering because they are, on average, naturally attracted to other jobs including soft sciences and humanities and that people who pursue soft science and humanities degrees are there because they are "simply not good thinkers" who cannot hack it in a discipline "that society needs."

What are you saying about women Doc?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

EAllusion wrote:I don't know. It seems like someone here sure could use a person with a degree in at least one soft science.

But to be clear, you think both that women have low participation rates in hard sciences, math, and engineering because they are, on average, naturally attracted to other jobs including soft sciences and humanities and that people who pursue soft science and humanities degrees are there because they are "simply not good thinkers" who cannot hack it in a discipline "that society needs."

I was actually thinking about a certain white, presumably heterosexual, male who posts on this board when I made that statement.

Basically I was calling you [deleted] idiot. I spelled that out for you lest you miss it, because, you know, you're not a good thinker.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I was actually thinking about a certain white, presumably heterosexual, male who posts on this board when I made that statement.

Basically I was calling you [deleted] idiot. I spelled that out for you lest you miss it, because, you know, you're not a good thinker.

- Doc

I have a degree both in biology and in psychology and my focus in psychology was on the hard-science side. I worked in a neuroscience lab as an undergrad. Also, I was an AP scholar with distinction in high school because I got a 5 on 7 different AP science exams and really had my pick of fast-tracking any science major.

Congrats on missing the mark yet again.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:

it seems that your posts are the only one, other than OP, that is saying something about women...and how lucky they are to have you do their heavy lifting... they're so helpless ya know?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:Congrats on missing the mark yet again.

none of your degrees or, cough, high school yearbook credits actually prove you as a thinker... perhaps they prove you test well and that you mail ordered degrees from the Caribbean.... but the "thinker" part must be manifest.
a.k.a.... if you have to insist that you're a thinker, you might not actually be a thinker.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

subgenius wrote:none of your degrees or, cough, high school yearbook credits actually prove you as a thinker.

Everyone here thinks. To be a thinker all you need is time. Conspiracy theorists are thinkers. Republicants are thinkers. It is very easy to think. It is very easy rationalize everything with mental gymnastics.

What matters is a trained scientific mind. A mathematical mind that knows how to avoid cognitive biases. EAllusion has a better mind than you and Doc combined.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Congrats on missing the mark yet again.

none of your degrees or, cough, high school yearbook credits actually prove you as a thinker

He mistakenly thought my educational background was in just psychology to tee up his insult. That this isn't true and I do have a background in hard science is what misses the mark.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

EAllusion wrote:I have a degree both in biology and in psychology and my focus in psychology was on the hard-science side. I worked in a neuroscience lab as an undergrad. Also, I was an AP scholar with distinction in high school because I got a 5 on 7 different AP science exams and really had my pick of fast-tracking any science major.

Congrats on missing the mark yet again.

Cool. Good for you!

- Doc