"You're never going to get rid of guns"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: "You're never going to get rid of guns"

Post by _Gadianton »

Maksutov wrote:There are that many latent neoConfederates, neoDanites and neoNazis, yes. Have you read The Turner Diaries?

This is a question for EA and KG, who have argued violence in media hasn't contributed to real-world violence. If that's true for mainstream media it should be good for supremacist and pro-gun fiction as well. I personally don't think we are living in two separate worlds. I have friends who have made statements about going down fighting rather than surrender their guns but I think they are full of it, and I also kind of lean toward what EA and KG say but I'm not highly invested in that position. I would have more investment in the position that if one is bad, the other is bad.

By the way, there are two ways the statement of the OP can be intended. Some people say that because there are already so many in circulation, others say that because it would be impossible to outlaw all guns. In the first sense, my position is that we still should start bans where we can get them and better controls on how they are sold. Making it more difficult for younger folks with personality issues will fix some of the problem at least.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:I don't know, man. You think there are that many people willing to die for their guns?

Think of how many people were willing to die for one guy's right to let his cattle graze on public land.

Then I'm sure you can answer your own question.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:I don't know, man. You think there are that many people willing to die for their guns?

Think of how many people were willing to die for one guy's right to let his cattle graze on public land.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't take that many lunatics to get to a situation qualifying to be described as Maksutov did: "widespread terrorism."

I keep thinking more highly of humanity than perhaps I should (and I don't think that highly of humanity).
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Dr. Shades wrote:

I'll bring these thoughts over from another thread (
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 7#p1113897
http://mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/vie ... 9#p1113919 )

To add to what Dr. Shades has pointed out above, will we at least offer a buy-back program on outlawed weapons/accessors? Otherwise what is really the long term costs of a banning solution? Making outlaws of otherwise productive citizens might well be a very bad idea.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I have to admit that the "prohibition doesn't work" argument is the best one gun advocates have. At least, it's the one most persuasive to me.

Ultimately, I realize that a total gun ban is unlikely in this country, so I'm not seriously looking for it. I do think there's a ton of options between what we have now and a total ban, however.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Some Schmo wrote:I have to admit that the "prohibition doesn't work" argument is the best one gun advocates have. At least, it's the one most persuasive to me.

Ultimately, I realize that a total gun ban is unlikely in this country, so I'm not seriously looking for it. I do think there's a ton of options between what we have now and a total ban, however.

My problem is that the Nazi Republican A*holes (NRA) seek to dominate and frame, censor and veto all discussion about guns and their consequences in this country. They are blackmailing the rest of us. Let's also start talking about the fact that they are a latent paramilitary that has often encouraged the sentiment of the violent overthrow of the US government. Yeah, I'll go there. :cool:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Just read this article on CNN about how the French handled gun control. If anyone is interested...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/26/opinions ... index.html
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maksutov wrote:Have you read The Turner Diaries?

Seen some of it in the political strategies of Steve Bannon and the election engineering by Russia.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Gadianton wrote:
Maksutov wrote:There are that many latent neoConfederates, neoDanites and neoNazis, yes. Have you read The Turner Diaries?

This is a question for EAllusion and Kevin Graham, who have argued violence in media hasn't contributed to real-world violence. If that's true for mainstream media it should be good for supremacist and pro-gun fiction as well. I personally don't think we are living in two separate worlds. I have friends who have made statements about going down fighting rather than surrender their guns but I think they are full of it, and I also kind of lean toward what EAllusion and Kevin Graham say but I'm not highly invested in that position. I would have more investment in the position that if one is bad, the other is bad.

By the way, there are two ways the statement of the opening post can be intended. Some people say that because there are already so many in circulation, others say that because it would be impossible to outlaw all guns. In the first sense, my position is that we still should start bans where we can get them and better controls on how they are sold. Making it more difficult for younger folks with personality issues will fix some of the problem at least.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

If it makes anyone feel better I just unloaded my two weapons to a reputable dealer who was able to describe to me how they conduct background checks and have a waiting period. I called the SLCPD to see if they would destroy my weapons or could recommend someone who could do it. They explained they don't destroy weapons and wouldn't make any recommendations to anyone who could. So. There you go. Someone who used to be a pro 2nd Amendment gun owner has shifted away from it.

The upside is I got $350 and a receipt for my records.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.