Your Thought/Replies Welcome!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: Your Thought/Replies Welcome!

Post by _beastie »

Kevin Graham wrote:Yes, ZLMB was a mess. Not nearly as bad as other boards dominated by ex-Mormons, but it was pretty crazy when FAIR was sending their top apologists at the time to do battle.

It was mainly the defenders of the faith complaining about the quality of the board, and insisting it didn't use to be that way. When I dug more into the past, I discovered exchanges just as ugly as the ones they were complaining about today. The main difference was that the antagonists in the early days tending to be evangelical Christian (made sense since ZLMB was triggerred by an exodus from the board associated with the Tanners, which I think was also named lightouse). At the end, the main antagonists were atheists, and the defenders of the faith were robbed of one of their favorite tools (well, the Bible does it too....) I really think defenders of the faith found atheists more frustrating.

That was supposed to be the main thing that set this forum apart from the rest. You could pretty much choose the level of discourse you want by picking your own forum. But I think the problem is the same groups tend to gravitate to the same forums. I haven't so much as clicked on the Celestial/Telestial forums in years. Terrestrial used to be the only one I'd visit but I really don't have that much interest in discussing Mormonism anymore.

Yeah, me too. I only click on Terrestrial to get mormon-related current events updates.

I spent years debating defenders of the faith. But with time and distance, Mormonism seemed pretty much the equivalent of scientology to me, and who would waste time debating a scientologist? As has often been said in the past, Mormonism isn't just a fraud, it's a pretty obvious one, and if people continue believing it they have very personal, deep-rooted issues for doing so that tend to close them to new information.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

People start mewing about others in order to control them, or control the 'tone', because they want to feel relevant. It's a strong internal process that drives some to replace their sense of irrelevancy by enforcing arbitrary rules that are based in insecurity.

Lemmie brings up a good point about the Celestial forum. Mr. Peterson used to whine every so often about the tone of the board, and he was invited repeatedly to participate on the Celestial forum.

He declined.

That says a lot about his motivation, and the motivations of others who lack the internal discipline to post where they purportedly feel most comfortable.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

This is the funniest clip about Scientology courtesy of Dana Carvey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMtYEhKVBEg
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:People start mewing about others in order to control them, or control the 'tone', because they want to feel relevant. It's a strong internal process that drives some to replace their sense of irrelevancy by enforcing arbitrary rules that are based in insecurity.

Lemmie brings up a good point about the Celestial forum. Mr. Peterson used to whine every so often about the tone of the board, and he was invited repeatedly to participate on the Celestial forum.

He declined.

That says a lot about his motivation, and the motivations of others who lack the internal discipline to post where they purportedly feel most comfortable.

- Doc

(I think you are referring to beastie's comment about the celestial forum, but I do agree wholeheartedly.)
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:"AFAIC" = As Far As I Cnow?

As Far As I'm Concerned.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Whoops. I was. Brain fart!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Kevin Graham wrote:I haven't so much as clicked on the Celestial/Telestial forums in years. Terrestrial used to be the only one I'd visit but I really don't have that much interest in discussing Mormonism anymore.

You and me both.

I almost find traditional religion quaint these days (as opposed to the cult known as the GOP). My only issue with it is when someone tries to use it to back up a push for some 18th century style law. Otherwise, it doesn't bother me at all any more.

It actually surprises me more than anything. When Foles was interviewed after the Super Bowl and mentioned his god, I was like, oh wow... really?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.