Letter published in Psychology Today

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Letter published in Psychology Today

Post by _Lemmie »

Yes, I shared a story published in psychology today, but I no longer get my facts from personal stories or testimonies.
DT, you contradict yourself.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Lemmie wrote:
Yes, I shared a story published in psychology today, but I no longer get my facts from personal stories or testimonies.
DoubtingThomas, you contradict yourself.

I make conclusions based on the evidence, statistics, and science, but it doesn't mean I can't share stories.

Lemmie,

If you support the current sex offender system, then you are not protecting children. Our current sex offender system doesn't protect children

According to an official with the Vermont Department of Public Safety, "By limiting the number of offenders who are subject to uncontrolled disclosure, the state hopes to make it easier for members of the public to identify the individuals who pose the most significant risk"
Kate Fitch. Megan's Law: Does it protect children? The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children

“More than 20,000 sex offenders are registered in Georgia. . . . Of that 20,000, only 244 offenders are considered violent sexual predators required to wear a monitor for life, gbi [Georgia Bureau of Investigation] statistics show”: Joy Lukachick 52 | David M. Halperin Smith, “Georgia Drops Hundreds from Sex Off ender Registry,” Chattanooga Times Free Press

An important report finds

The NSPCC report shows that there is not one Megan’s law but many different variations of community notification. Although the law is popular with parents, there is no evidence that open access to sex offender registers actually enhances child safety. There is no evidence that Megan’s Law reduces reoffending. However, there is some evidence that it may have unintended negative consequences for children

There is currently no empirical evidence that community notification has had a positive impact on offender recidivism rates. • There is no evidence that community notification has resulted in fewer assaults by strangers on children. • There is no evidence that sex offenders use public information sources to form networks. • There is currently very little monitoring of vigilantism against offenders. • Surveys suggest that, at a general level, community notification is popular with respondents. However, there is academic evidence to suggest that some parents may develop a false sense of fear of offenders in the community, as the laws exaggerate the true level of offender recidivism

Megan's Law: does it protect children? K Fitch - London: NSPCC, 2006
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Ceeboo wrote:If you had a 14 year old daughter and this guy lived on your block - would you want him on the list?

I'm not sure that's a valid argument.

I married my wife when she was 19. Does that mean the fathers of 19-year-old girls in my ward should be concerned that I might try to become involved with their daughters?

I might not hire the guy to be my 14-year-old daughter's guitar teacher, but I'm not sure I would be concerned that having him living nearby would expose my daughter to seduction.