It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dow is currently in a freefall
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm 
God

aussieguy55 wrote:
Who will have to pay the trillions of dollars owed? How much interest?

I don't think it will ever be paid off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 pm 
Bishop

Bach wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
The DOW drops more than 700 points today, effectively wiping out 4 months of wealth creation. #MAGA

How's that portfolio bach?

Mine is still great. Down markets present even greater opportunities for those w patience, experience and liquidity.

How’s yours?

I don't waste my money gambling on the buying and selling of others. Unlike slackers such as yourself, i choose to create my own wealth.

Meanwhile the DOW is still tumbling another 200 points thus far today, making this the worst March performance in 17 years. To go along with the worst intraday performance since the great recession. All this winning, how can you stand it.

Remember, the stock market performance was the measuring stick provided by none other than Donald Duck Trump himself. That is whats so hilarious about this. His crew bragging about how the DOW increased 31% in his first 12 months (as if he had done something to take credit for that trend) whereas now we are looking at that increase dropping dramatically to 16% in his first 14 months, and all of this corresponds to his inept actions, deficit spending, with tax cuts and trade tariffs. And there is really no telling where the bottom will hit.

ETA- make that 320 points and dropping at 330pm

Check that - 400 points at 4pm

#MAGA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:43 pm 
God

Any update Hawkeye?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm 
God

Any update Hawkeye?

(Seems my posts are being denied again)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm 
Bishop

Bach wrote:
Any update Hawkeye?

(Seems my posts are being denied again)

DOW down 300 points today thus far.

#MAGA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm 
Bishop

Check that, down almost 400 points. All this winning driving the market down. Huh.

#MAGA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm 
God

I feel like this post is like an argument on global warming where every snowstorm is a refutation and every heat wave an affirmation. I think the large cut in the corporate tax cut will boost a lot of growth in profits in the short term. But while Trump is losing advisors, adopting more right wing policies, damaging international relationships and engaging in trade wars, I think you will see a lot of volatility in the markets.

Think of the market at living with a very powerful, mercurial, doting parent. Okay, Donald Trump. He showers the market with gifts in the form of deregulation and massive corporate tax cuts. The market loves Donald Trump for this. But Trump's mercurial decision making makes for an uncertain future, and markets hate uncertainty. The poles of the Bull and Bear are greed and fear. A Trump Presidency can exacerbate both.

- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 pm 
God

MeDotOrg wrote:
I feel like this post is like an argument on global warming where every snowstorm is a refutation and every heat wave an affirmation. I think the large cut in the corporate tax cut will boost a lot of growth in profits in the short term. But while Trump is losing advisors, adopting more right wing policies, damaging international relationships and engaging in trade wars, I think you will see a lot of volatility in the markets.

Relevant Article:

Why Do We Still Care About the Dow?

Quote:
It would be extremely convenient if there were still one number or index we could check to make sense of our economy, especially during times of chaos. But the stock market might actually be our worst option. Rather than being a useful indicator, it's an anxiety-amplification device. It reflects investors' own reactions, and often hysterical overreactions, as they progress through the turmoil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 pm 
God

Hawkeye wrote:
Check that, down almost 400 points. All this winning driving the market down. Huh.

#MAGA

Ok, notwithstanding the obvious lack of substance in your point....can i ask about your #MAGA? I notice that the Dow:
on November 07, 2016 was 18,259.6 .
on March 26th, 2018 was 19,881.76 .
And obviously it has fluctuated but...

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:35 pm 
God

I don't know why everyone is so hot on the market being up or down a few hundred, heck even a few thousand points. When I started my index fund way back in '02 I was crapping my pants, but was luckily ensured by my investment guy to just stick with it. Some years I felt like a genius and once in a while I felt very, very bad. As of 2018 I feel like a genius again.

It's odd to me now, after 16 years, that people keep using it as a cudgel with which to bash the opposition.

eta: If you're a risk-averse when it comes to investing and you're looking at a retirement fund I totally recommend sticking ~$500-1000/month into it. It'll pay off.

- Doc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm 
Bishop

Who said the stock market performance matters.... oh yeah, that's right, Trump and bach did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:35 pm 
God

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:56 pm 
Bishop

The purpose of this thread was to point out that the market went into correction mode. That seemed to matter to some people. But I don't see how anyone is claiming this matters in a political sense. It is just a funny side-note that the correction happened shortly after Trump used it to praise himself. And bach asked for an update, so I provided. But he was only asking for an update because the market was up on that particular day. Now it is down again.

Right now we're still in a correction and the DOW is looking more and more like a consistent heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:08 pm 
Bishop

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I don't know why everyone is so hot on the market being up or down a few hundred, heck even a few thousand points. When I started my index fund way back in '02 I was crapping my pants, but was luckily ensured by my investment guy to just stick with it. Some years I felt like a genius and once in a while I felt very, very bad. As of 2018 I feel like a genius again.

It's odd to me now, after 16 years, that people keep using it as a cudgel with which to bash the opposition.

eta: If you're a risk-averse when it comes to investing and you're looking at a retirement fund I totally recommend sticking ~$500-1000/month into it. It'll pay off.

- Doc

The funny thing is, I know quite a few Trump supporters who don't understand the market at all (surprise!) and are just now getting into it for the first time in their lives because they seem to think it is some kind of magic cash machine. So they sign up for their warehouse job's 401k. They don't understand that they're basically buying stocks at their highest points ever. They're likely to be losing money in the short term, which is significant because these are typically the same kinds of people who don't stay at the same job for more than a few years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm 
God

Kevin Graham, why the need for the sock puppet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 pm 
Hermit

cinepro wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:

Relevant Article:

Why Do We Still Care About the Dow?

Quote:
It would be extremely convenient if there were still one number or index we could check to make sense of our economy, especially during times of chaos. But the stock market might actually be our worst option. Rather than being a useful indicator, it's an anxiety-amplification device. It reflects investors' own reactions, and often hysterical overreactions, as they progress through the turmoil.

I don't know Cinepro, if a financial market with so many brilliant players commanding every analytic imaginable while facing virtually no friction is an "anxiety amplification device," and this is common sense, then why would it be such a mystery that the poor and broken who lose their housing in a market with all kinds of knowledge gaps and frictions don't straightaway make for a model market by finding cheaper housing elsewhere, instead of sticking around on the streets?

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am 
Bishop

Bach wrote:
Kevin Graham, why the need for the sock puppet?

Because of people like you out there on the web, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:04 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:
I don't know Cinepro, if a financial market with so many brilliant players commanding every analytic imaginable while facing virtually no friction is an "anxiety amplification device," and this is common sense, then why would it be such a mystery that the poor and broken who lose their housing in a market with all kinds of knowledge gaps and frictions don't straightaway make for a model market by finding cheaper housing elsewhere, instead of sticking around on the streets?

Sorry, I don't see the connection between the two.

If you're suggesting that both are examples of broken and imperfect markets, you're probably correct. But they would appear to be broken and imperfect in different ways, and for different reasons.

Maybe one similarity would be that people who stay homeless in areas with high housing costs and low job prospects are like the people who hold on to a stock that is declining in value, hoping that it will recover. And those who sell a stock that is losing value and search out more solid investments are like those who move to seek out areas with lower housing costs and better job prospects.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 pm 
God

Hawkeye wrote:
Who said the stock market performance matters.... oh yeah, that's right, Trump and bach did.

And it is still up higher than the day Trump was sworn in, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm 
Bishop

subgenius wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

And it is still up higher than the day Trump was sworn in, correct?

Well Jesus, one would hope so. I mean, after 14 months?

Last edited by Hawkeye on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:23 pm 
God

Hawkeye wrote:

Well a Jesus, one would hope so. I mean, after 14 months?

point being....no freefall...just hair-fire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next