Dow is currently in a freefall

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Dow is currently in a freefall

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:oops.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added almost 373 points, or 1.44%, to end around 26,280, while the Standard & Poor’s 500 gained 43 points, or 1.48%, to finish at 2,926.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq composite led the major indexes, jumping 153 points, or 1.95%, to close at 8,016.

So basically a complete flat line since the Trump tax reform was passed 20 months ago?

Got it.

By the way, DOW futures are already down -200 points this morning.

Ooops?

The U.S. Treasury 2-10 year yield curve inverted and that means stocks are on ‘borrowed time,’ says BAML

UPDATE: DOW plunges -800 points to close for the day.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Nice timing subs. :lol:
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:Nice timing subs. :lol:

idiotic u r in content and context.
...its like you are truly illiterate in all things economic.
But please, keep posting cherry picked updates on this thread in hopes that some sort of conclusion will manifest in your skull for 2020.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:Nice timing subs. :lol:

idiotic u r in content and context.
...its like you are truly illiterate in all things economic.
But please, keep posting cherry picked updates on this thread in hopes that some sort of conclusion will manifest in your skull for 2020.

You're the one who decided to cherry pick an update I was just responding to it. But you're so stupid you updated a cherry the day after when it had already turned into a sour grape. So not only are you bad at cherry picking, you're just plain dumb.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

If the 'inverted curve' is an accurate predictor of a coming recession, it will be very interesting to watch GOP Trump loyalists weigh their own political futures. The star to which they have hitched their political fortunes has a big Trump card, and that's the economy. Trump's approval ratings have been in the mid-to-low forties for most of his Presidency, even with a strong economy. If the country is in a recession during 2020, I really don't see how Trump can win.

Faced with the certainty of a defeat, along with whatever revelations come out of trials and hearings in the next year, I wonder how much loyalty will be tested in the Party of Trump. The repercussions of a recession would create the biggest test of fidelity to Trump's vision of the GOP.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:Image

Heh, irony does still get lost on some people.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I imagine Republicans will buckle up and smile as Trump rides the train off the tracks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Trump's tariff war with China is going to make us all rich!! And if it backfires, no big deal because Trump will simply declare bankruptcy. It's a risk free gamble!
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Stocks drop to begin September amid new US-China tariffs, weak US manufacturing data

Stocks fell on Tuesday, the first trading day of a historically tough month, after the world’s two largest economies began imposing new tariffs on each other’s goods. Weak manufacturing data also dented investor sentiment.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 285.26 points lower, or 1.1%, at 26,118.02. The S&P 500 lost 0.7% to end the day at 2,906.27 while the Nasdaq Composite pulled back 1.1% to 7,874.16.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/03/stock-m ... riffs.html
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I'm more than slightly concerned about the consequences of a recession. Your average President from either party would be likely to take measures that attempt to stop the downward slide and focus on the economy. Trump isn't a typical President and may be most likely to treat it like a slump in ratings for The Apprentice. What does a TV program due to attract viewers? Crazy crap. Like, I don't know, start a war with Iran maybe...
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa