Dow is currently in a freefall

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Dow is currently in a freefall

Post by _Dr Exiled »

canpakes wrote:
Exiled wrote:The run-up is a lot longer than any one administration and the hockey stick increase from 2009 onward simply cannot be sustained.

Agreed. And someone probably needed to tell that to Trump and his supporters when they were happily tweeting messages about the “Trump stock market”.

He certainly has no business taking credit for any of the last couple of years of gains. The QE bubble has been in full swing since the last crash in 2009.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Exiled is coming at this from a paleolibertarian, skepticism of the Fed angle. I don't know if everyone is picking up on his politics.

If you look at SP 500 growth in inflation adjusted dollars rather than allowing inflation to contribute to your sense of exponential growth, it's within reason for a recovery following a major crash. The market seems maybe a little juiced recently, but there was that massive corporate tax cut and we are now in a period of correction/stagnation.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Apparently Shades autocorrects "S""P" to "stake president."

For the love of God.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:Apparently Shades autocorrects "S""P" to "stake president."

For the love of God.

:lol: :lol:
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Yes, and freshmen economists know that it was Bush's stimulus that put the overwhelming majority of that in motion...

I like how folks such as yourself alternate between this claim above, and the one blaming "Obama's stimulus" for wrecking the Nation. : D
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

EAllusion wrote:Exiled is coming at this from a paleolibertarian, skepticism of the Fed angle. I don't know if everyone is picking up on his politics.

If you look at stake president 500 growth in inflation adjusted dollars rather than allowing inflation to contribute to your sense of exponential growth, it's within reason for a recovery following a major crash. The market seems maybe a little juiced recently, but there was that massive corporate tax cut and we are now in a period of correction/stagnation.

I listen to libertarians and MMT theorists as well as some marxist economists. I'm kind of undecided. Although, I don't like Paul Krugman too much. I wonder if we could nominate Steven Keen, the Australian economist for fed chair? Keen would have QE'd the public and not the banks. He would have required that the money would have paid down debt first, but the main thing is that he would have ensured that the public, the source of 70% of the economic spending remained somewhat flush. The great recession might have been lessened.

Anyway, hockey stick rises seem to end up in crashes ... dot.com, then CDO's, and now QE. Bubbles get created and then pop. The amount of money/debt in the system seems to dominate these bubbles.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
subgenius wrote:Yes, and freshmen economists know that it was Bush's stimulus that put the overwhelming majority of that in motion...

I like how folks such as yourself alternate between this claim above, and the one blaming "Obama's stimulus" for wrecking the Nation. : D

can you cite that post of mine for me?....and what is Dow doing today?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:can you cite that post of mine for me?....and what is Dow doing today?

Today?

Down again -53.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Down again another 500 points.

#MAGA
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

It is now down to 24,100.51. Link
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter