Aziz Ansari is innocent

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Aziz Ansari is innocent

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:EAllusion you are grossly misunderstanding Lucia Brawley (CNN article author), a rape survivor herself. For Lucia women shouldn't play guess games. Women playing guess games like non-verbal cues only hurt other women.

Guessing games weren't being played. That's the point. Here's some advice. If you genuinely think you won't be able to read what a woman is communicating if they are behaving like Grace described, then you should not be having sexual relationships. You aren't mature enough for them.

Of course he "knew" from her perspective, but Aziz said, ""It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned"

I'm calling BS on that. Hence why he's being deservedly pilloried. He inappropriately pressured a woman for sex to the point that it was very poor behavior on his part. I'm sure he didn't expect that to snowball into being called out for traumatic sexual assault in a wave of harassment and assault allegations against celebrities, but any reasonable person in his position would understand they were pressuring a woman who was uncomfortable with what they were doing.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Do you not notice that there is a general reaction in not describing this as assault? You're jousting with windmills. .

One more thing before leaving. It is irrelevant!
It doesn't matter if most people don't describe it as sexual assault (thank goodness). But the accusation of sexual assault is still there! and the accuser will suffer no consequence.

A false accusation was made so we should all be outraged.

The accuser is getting a fair amount of flak. What consequence do you think she should suffer? Her accusation hinges not on false reporting of the facts, but an understanding of what constitutes assault that is more loose than what the general public understands it to be.

The reason I wrote the comment you are quoting is explained in the part you choose to cut off. You keep arguing that many feminists are calling this assault and that even "feminist ass-kissing" outlets like CNN or TYT agree this isn't assault. That's because the general reaction seems to be that this isn't assault. You're fighting a feminist boogeyman and sounding like an MRA type while doing it. It's not a good look.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Do you not notice that there is a general reaction in not describing this as assault? You're jousting with windmills. .

One more thing before leaving. It is irrelevant!
It doesn't matter if most people don't describe it as sexual assault (thank goodness). But the accusation of sexual assault is still there! and the accuser will suffer no consequence.

A false accusation was made so we should all be outraged.

What consequence do you think she should suffer?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:What consequence do you think she should suffer?

Well, I don't think it's fair that Aziz Ansari's reputation is absolutely decimated by an anonymous woman. If his identity is up for scrutiny, why not hers?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:What consequence do you think she should suffer?

Well, I don't think it's fair that Aziz Ansari's reputation is absolutely decimated by an anonymous woman. If his identity is up for scrutiny, why not hers?

- Doc

That’s an unfairness that Ansari could remedy.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

That’s an unfairness that Ansari could remedy.

I think the little guy is in a no-win situation, especially since he positioned himself as a #timesup advocate.

If he's smart he's going to use this as some hilarious self-effacing material.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

EAllusion wrote:If you genuinely think you won't be able to read what a woman is communicating if they are behaving like Grace described, then you should not be having sexual relationships. You aren't mature enough for them.

My friend EAllusion. Why do you always have to make it about my personal life? Listen, I have a lot of problems in life, but sex isn't one of them. I have never pressured a woman (not even for a kiss) and will never do it.

EAllusion wrote:I'm calling BS on that. Hence why he's being deservedly pilloried. He inappropriately pressured a woman for sex to the point that it was very poor behavior on his part. I'm sure he didn't expect that to snowball into being called out for traumatic sexual assault in a wave of harassment and assault allegations against celebrities, but any reasonable person in his position would understand they were pressuring a woman who was uncomfortable with what they were doing.

Why do you believe the perpetrator but not the victim? To me the anonymous woman lost all credibility for saying it was a sexual assault. Listen, human memory is highly unreliable. According to a Scientific American article "Since the 1990s, when DNA testing was first introduced, Innocence Project researchers have reported that 73 percent of the 239 convictions overturned through DNA testing were based on eyewitness testimony"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-have-it/

I highly doubt Grace remembered all the details correctly, and her account is obvious all biased, and she was probably exaggerating on many things. Wouldn't you agree?

EAllusion wrote:Her accusation hinges not on false reporting of the facts, but an understanding of what constitutes assault

Feminists favor for enthusiastic yes laws, so under enthusiastic yes philosophy Aziz did commit sexual assault because he didn't get an enthusiastic yes.

According to psychologist many false reports are based on false memory (not complete fabrication), she writes, "Because memory is reconstructive in nature, and susceptible to suggestion, and because we distort or rewrite our memories to conform to our views of ourselves, people can “remember” saying things that they only thought about or intended to say at the time. As a result, a woman might falsely remember saying things that she thought about (but did not say) to stop the situation, because she sees herself as an assertive person who would stand up for herself"

Res Ipsa wrote:

A sex assault accusation can get you a life sentence, so as society we can't tolerate false accusations. Imagine your son being falsely accused of sexual assault, how would you feel?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

That’s not an answer to my question.

_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
My friend EAllusion. Why do you always have to make it about my personal life? Listen, I have a lot of problems in life, but sex isn't one of them. I have never pressured a woman (not even for a kiss) and will never do it.

I mean "you" in the sense of anyone. Anyone who cannot understand Grace's attempts to rebuff Ansari, reducing apprehending what she was communicating into "guessing" and "mind reading," should not be having sex.

Why do you believe the perpetrator but not the victim?

The facts aren't in dispute. All that's in dispute is whether it was reasonable for Aziz to claim he couldn't pick up on her cues - real subtle cues like repeatedly pulling away from him as he tried to put her hand on his dick and saying she doesn't want to feel forced.

I highly doubt Grace remembered all the details correctly, and her account is obvious all biased, and she was probably exaggerating on many things. Wouldn't you agree?

Your take is that she's exaggerating to the point of giving a false narrative and Aziz isn't disputing that because reasons?

Feminists favor for enthusiastic yes laws, so under enthusiastic yes philosophy Aziz did commit sexual assault because he didn't get an enthusiastic yes.

Some feminists favor them. Others, like people you link in defense of yourself, do not. On what basis are you able to claim that feminists, as a group, favor laws that require ongoing, clear affirmation for consent?

Res Ipsa wrote:

A sex assault accusation can get you a life sentence, so as society we can't tolerate false accusations. Imagine your son being falsely accused of sexual assault, how would you feel?

You didn't answer the question. What consequences should she suffer?
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

EAllusion wrote:You didn't answer the question. What consequences should she suffer?

Mixed feelings, I believe the prison population should be reduced to like 60%. Life is so unfair, but oh well, none. The only consequence she should suffer is forgetting about her. That is all.

I created a new topic.