President speaks at 4th grade level

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: President speaks at 4th grade level

Post by _EAllusion »

I looked up the original material and the article that's linked actually misrepresents the underlying piece it is reporting on. Not all of the first 30,000 words spoken by each president in the known record were used for the comparison. Trump's data wasn't gleamed from tweets, as reported, which is good because that's a terrible way to make comparisons. Twitter artificially limits the amount of characters you can use and has its own language conventions. It appears what they actually did is look up the presidential archives on press conferences, debates, and interviews in an effort, though probably only partially successful one, to control for scripted language. Still problematic, but less so.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

This thread inspired me to look up grade-level scores of famous authors, mostly because I knew Hemingway is famously low. (4th grade.)

Cormac McCarthy comes in at 5th grade. In retrospect, yeah, but I would've guessed higher before reading that. Might be his penchant for punching his writing with short sentences and dialogue is throwing off the calculation. I think he would've had the greatest distance between my guess and actual number.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I think your point, as always, is, "You said something and I'm going to take this as an opportunity to overcompensate for my life choices."

- Doc

EA, I was just getting ready to say that neither you nor anyone else on this forum will know what your real point is until Doctor CamNC4Me comes to explain it to you.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

President speaks at 4th grade level

I have my doubts about this claim.

CFR that Drumpf made it through 4th grade.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Some Schmo wrote:CFR that Drumpf made it through 4th grade.

I think Trump used to be a smart guy. I watched some of the stuff he said in the 90s and it is not that bad. I guess Trump did make it to college, but his brain is literally regressing and turning to s***.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Jersey Girl wrote:...Donald Trump speaks at a fourth-grade level...

Because he understands that a large number of Americans supported Hillary.

And so either Harding or Coolidge also spoke at a 4th grade level?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent