I watched Grave of the Fireflies again

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: I watched Grave of the Fireflies again

Post by _moksha »

I am uncertain about Japanese values at the end of the war, but a four-year-old girl starving to death sounds like they may have been similar to 21st Century Republican America. The rich get richer and the poor will die.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Why was it depressing for you?

The amount of suffering that the protagonists were forced to endure due to no fault of their own.

I think Seita's pride is at fault for what followed. Obviously he's not to blame for the terrible circumstances he found himself in, but we're led think he could've made choices that would've changed the course of events. I think the film is both bitterly critical of him while also showing how awful it is that war-time can magnify minor, forgiveable character flaws into unspeakable tragedy.

I remember discussing this with someone when many years ago. He thought the film didn't do enough to make this point clear and as a result made Seita into an innocent martyr. I disagreed with that view and took as evidence for my position the fact that he saw Seita's flaws well enough to criticize the film for not criticizing him enough. He retorted that he had read the book, which I have not, where the author is more overtly blaming towards himself for prideful, selfish behavior leading to...you know.

I still think the film makes this clear enough.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

DoubtingThomas wrote:Is it a WW2 film?

Yes. It follows a brother and sister late in WW II during the American fire-bombing campaign in Japan.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Although I agree with you that Seita's mistakes are clear to see they are definitely downplayed comparatively to the short story. If I'm not mistaken Takahata has gone on record to say he wanted to basically evoke full sympathy for the protagonists and I think that is visible when you compare the two side by side.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens