Derailment from ''What to expect from the next old white male''

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Derailment from ''What to expect from the next old white male''

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Stem wrote:
Exiled wrote:Nelson seems to want to bring back some good old fashioned "revelation," a la Joseph Smith. I look forward to seeing how fast his "revelation" inventions can be falsified.

I'd get a kick out of him if he starts spouting off in the name of the Lord and introducing some broken up King James attempted English as he does it.

"In the Name of our beloved Jehovah, ye child bearers who go gay ought not think it wise to let yer child be baptized, nor shall any bishop nor priest baptize a kid who has parents who sin against that which is natural in a fornication sense lest fiery balls of fury get tossed upon yer heads to your eternal damnation. And ye shall also cast out the parent, and calleth him an apostate, for he shall not dwell amongst you let he corrupteth my chosen, for thus saith the Lord of Hosts."

"A boy who turns 18 years of age shall forsake father and mother and fair maidens and go preach repentance unto the gentiles afar and also all maidens who fail in their duties to be betrothed or aren't fair when they are 19 years of age can go and preach repentance to those afar off as well; but she shall cleave unto the priesthood holder in her duties, lest she fall under condemnation, saith my God".

A couple of examples of what might have been if revelation was as it used to be.

Common thread among apostates. Speaking evil and/or poking fun of the Lord's anointed. I remember when I was a teenager there was a publication that went around at the time, in yellow booklet form with a spiral binder (can't remember what it was called now, but it was popular at the time), that emphasized that when people start criticizing the brethren that they are well on the road to losing their faith.

How true that is. That common thread is in abundance here.

Just thought I'd point that out. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_cwald
_Emeritus

Re: What to expect from the next old white male Utahn.

Post by _cwald »

mentalgymnast wrote:Common thread among apostates. Speaking evil and/or poking fun of the Lord's anointed. I remember when I was a teenager there was a publication that went around at the time, in yellow booklet form with a spiral binder (can't remember what it was called now, but it was popular at the time), that emphasized that when people start criticizing the brethren that they are well on the road to losing their faith.

How true that is. That common thread is in abundance here.

Just thought I'd point that out. :wink:

MG

In conclusion let us summarize this grand key, these “Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet”, for our salvation depends on them.

1. The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.

2. The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.

3. The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.

4. The prophet will never lead the church astray.

5. The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.

6. The prophet does not have to say “Thus Saith the Lord,” to give us scripture.

7. The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.

8. The prophet is not limited by men’s reasoning.

9. The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.

10. The prophet may advise on civic matters.

11. The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.

12. The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.

13. The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidency—the highest quorum in the Church.

14. The prophet and the presidency—the living prophet and the First Presidency—follow them and be blessed—reject them and suffer.

I testify that these fourteen fundamentals in following the living prophet are true. If we want to know how well we stand with the Lord then let us ask ourselves how well we stand with His mortal captain—how close do our lives harmonize with the Lord’s anointed—the living Prophet—President of the Church, and with the Quorum of the First Presidency.

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hi cwald! :smile:

Where is that 14 point thingy from?

Thanks and peace,
Ceeboo
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Ceeboo wrote:Hi cwald! :smile:

Thanks and peace,
Ceeboo

I think it's from 1984 and was originally about big brother but I could be wrong :lol:
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Thanks and peace,
Ceeboo

Ezra Benson
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/ezra-taft-benson_fourteen-fundamentals-following-prophet/

Reread into the record October 2010 General Conference by Costa.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/obedience-to-the-prophets?lang=eng
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Exiled wrote:

Thanks and peace,
Ceeboo

I think it's from 1984 and was originally about big brother but I could be wrong :lol:

No, you are not wrong.

The parallels between Orwell's 1984, and the LDS church and it's 14 F's of Following the Prophet are quite striking.