Oprah 2020

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Oprah 2020

Post by _Water Dog »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:There you have it, folks. This guy eats crap for breakfast. He just admitted it.

lol
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

This is what happens when you elect a celebrity to the office of the President:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tweets ... 04087.html

Trump Tweets Against His Own Administration On FISA, Backpedals Hours Later

You want to know why the Republicans won't do anything about this clown? Because they get pen to paper from him as the Executive.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

subgenius wrote:
honorentheos wrote:I am commenting on how voting for celebrities for President in the 2020 election is more consequential than it being just a contest between two individuals. And it will certainly play a prominent place in my decision making when vetting candidates. Call it whatever you want, subby. The facts behind it stand.

The "fact" that people would entertain the notion of Oprah running for President is yet another indictment on the shallow and rather naïve mindset some people have for "vetting candidates". This Oprah fervor is style over substance, it is a prolonged rash from the awful "cult of presidency" that Obama created....these voters who want a YouTube personality are absurd and way more degeneration to modern America than any tiki torch voter.

Wanting feel-good Hollywood Speeches for our nation's policies and legislation is nauseating.

There are aspects of this with which I actually agree. It's probably not popular to say, but I felt many voters in 2008 were voting for whatever their imagination could come up with rather than for what was being debated between the candidates. I think President Obama turned out to be a mixed bag, and there are legitimate areas one could question the competence of his White House. I don't think you and I would agree on where those were, as a guess. But the charge by the right that his Presidency had the attributes of a cult of personality is overstated if grounded in some sense of the facts.

That said, he was largely competent in regards to occupying the office of the President, surrounded himself with competent people, and left a legitimately strong legacy in the face of unprecedented opposition. So, there's that.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

This is the piece I was referring to:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/opin ... ident.html

It's by Russ Douthat, whom I'm generally not a fan of.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Seth MacFarlane

@SethMacFarlane
Oprah is beyond doubt a magnificent orator. But the idea of a reality show star running against a talk show host is troublingly dystopian. We don’t want to create a world where dedicated public service careers become undesirable and impractical in the face of raw celebrity.

9:48 PM - Jan 9, 2018
6,817 6,817 Replies 65,748 65,748 Retweets 286,076 286,076 likes

I think this is the disconnect between the non-government-civilian world and government-civilian world. I have no idea how to communicate to regular folks just how demanding and complex governing or working in the government sector can be. I get the consternation with tax payers and the bureaucrat, I do, but most people in government service are professionals. They have to be. Whether you're a Soldier doing a complicated job in a demanding environment, or sit on a city planning commission, the level of the expertise, ability to communicate nuanced and complex regulation, and to provide a service that doesn't always result in a tangible product can be a challenge when relating to the taxpayer.

We need bureaucrats just like we need competent businessmen.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

- Doc

elitist talk right there, and conveys a sentiment that is both anti-market and anti-constitutional republic.

And being on the city planning commission is not an arduous endeavor...nor is it even remotely a complicated job in demanding environment.

Bureaucracy, by definition, is the usurping of a representative government by an arbitrary measure for "expert" most often implemented by way of corruption or incompetence. Lazy and self-entitled people believe in bureaucracy.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Oprah's sweet new campaign poster for 2020 - wha?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdw9Onnn7og/
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:The "fact" that people would entertain the notion of Oprah running for President is yet another indictment on the shallow and rather naïve mindset some people have for "vetting candidates". This Oprah fervor is style over substance,

Are you talking about the current President, or any potential future challengers? ; )

subgenius wrote: ... it is a prolonged rash from the awful "cult of presidency" that Obama created....

You should crack open a history book or two. A cult of personality, as regards past Presidents, has examples long predating Obama.

subgenius wrote: ... these voters who want a YouTube personality are absurd and way more degeneration to modern America than any tiki torch voter.

They would seem to be no different than those wanting a Reality Show personality. Perhaps you can demonstrate the differences?

subgenius wrote:Wanting feel-good Hollywood Speeches for our nation's policies and legislation is nauseating.
You must have missed the President's RNC nomination acceptance speech.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Seth MacFarlane

@SethMacFarlane
Oprah is beyond doubt a magnificent orator. But the idea of a reality show star running against a talk show host is troublingly dystopian. We don’t want to create a world where dedicated public service careers become undesirable and impractical in the face of raw celebrity.

9:48 PM - Jan 9, 2018
6,817 6,817 Replies 65,748 65,748 Retweets 286,076 286,076 likes

I think this is the disconnect between the non-government-civilian world and government-civilian world. I have no idea how to communicate to regular folks just how demanding and complex governing or working in the government sector can be. I get the consternation with tax payers and the bureaucrat, I do, but most people in government service are professionals. They have to be. Whether you're a Soldier doing a complicated job in a demanding environment, or sit on a city planning commission, the level of the expertise, ability to communicate nuanced and complex regulation, and to provide a service that doesn't always result in a tangible product can be a challenge when relating to the taxpayer.

- Doc

+1,000
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov