Religiously Discriminating Bakers lose their case.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Religiously Discriminating Bakers lose their case.

Post by _EAllusion »

MeDotOrg wrote:I know some Orthodox Jews that grew up kosher who are nauseated by the smell of bacon, although for a lot of Jews I know bacon is the forbidden apple in the garden of kosher foods.

Everyone who loves bacon loves the smell of bacon. They sell bacon air fresheners for cars, for goodness sake.

I guess what I'm saying is that hating the smell of bacon is most likely the result of conditioning.

Oliver Wendell Holmes' said your freedom to swing your arm walking down the street ends where the other man's nose begins. Here we have a person's nose assaulted by a smell. Some people don't eat shellfish and find the smell disgusting. Many vegetarians find the smell of any meat disgusting. While I think you could have a case if someone opens a tannery in your neighborhood you probably have a case, but bacon? It's a fine line.
It's a Daily Mail article. I'd take their reporting of the facts as accurate with a grain of salt here. And a cursory search shows that yep:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/green ... mail-islam

The entire story is misleading. What actually happened is a non-Muslim neighbor complained about the smell emanating from an extractor fan that the person installed without permission from the planning commission. The person thought that it affected their children's health. The planning commission ordered it taken down because the proper permit was not applied for at that time. The initial complainant mentioned that the odor bothered both their Muslim and non-Muslim friends.

This story is over 7 years old, but Choyo resurrected it with the still misleading framing even though that was corrected years ago.
_Ammon Bundy
_Emeritus

Post by _Ammon Bundy »

subgenius wrote:An absurd decision by an absurd State. People who think this is a "good" thing are nothing more than intolerant fascists.

Oh lordy, trust me Subgenius, I know first hand. The whole state is little more than a hippy communist experiment. Fascists is an understatement. Did you know the Oregon State Police still haven't returned my 55 gallon drum of lubricant. 55 gallons!

Yer a good kid subgenius. God bless ya, and God bless these great United States of America.
It will ultimately create a war among the people, and this is an effort, a peaceful effort, to make sure that war never comes. To ensure there is not a war between the government and the people. And if we do this correctly now, we can make sure that peace will reign in this country. – Ammon Bundy
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

cwald wrote:
subgenius wrote:An absurd decision by an absurd State. People who think this is a "good" thing are nothing more than intolerant fascists.

Feel free not to visit.

To late, besides there are plenty of sober Oregonians that are actually good and enjoy letting people live their lives.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote:This thread gets moved?

I’ve been reporting derails which don’t get removed, but this thread gets moved?

It’s directly relevant to Mormonisms stance on same sex marriage, but it gets moved.

Unbelievable.

You didn't connect the OP to Mormonism. I'm certain that's why it was relocated.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

EAllusion wrote:This story is over 7 years old, but Choyo resurrected it with the still misleading framing even though that was corrected years ago.

sorry, this year i cease to read such gutter-press as 'daily mail' or 'daily telegraph'. up to now, i used to read them daily - sorry again, this time for traduction but daily is the word should be used... - while scope of 'the guardian' only every third day, when i am on duty at the desk.

to be serious:

"over 7 years old ... was corrected years ago"
fake news; you know well the expression...

"As for the Telegraph, I noted that its story was tweeted 100 times"

--------- happy new year ! ------------
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.